Hello from the Arkansas Ozarks!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ozark Lady, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

I am a bee keeper wannabe.

I don't have any bees at all. I am here to learn, to read about successes, and failures, so that when I do finally get brave and get my hive going, I will have some wisdom to guide me.
    I have read enough to know that honeybees are in trouble, and I don't want my ignorance to add to their woes. Lots of honeybees visit my yard, I think they are wild bees living in the woods, but they do fly quite a long way to forage, so maybe not.

I garden without pesticides or herbicides, and try to save plants that I know the bees like, even if I don't like it. And I am planting bee friendly items like buckwheat, flowers etc.

So, I am here to learn, and will probably ask the dumbest questions imaginable! So, please forgive me, but some things you just can't learn from a book. I want to be a beekeeper, so I am here to hang out with beekeepers.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can't ask a dumb question. The question is only dumb if it's not asked prior to acting.
    Ask away and you will likely get a few smart answers and a few dumb ones. You will just have to sort through them. After all, how smart can a group of people be if they spend good money to get bee stung over and over. :thumbsup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it enough to stay.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum Ozark Lady. I hope you get some bees soon and can enjoy them all summer long.

G3

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

howdy from Texas and welcome aboard.

everyone has to start somewhere.

5. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

Tecumseh, there is a town in Missouri named Tecumseh. It's claim to fame is: you can check your taillights as you go around the curves. I kid you not even folks used to curves get carsick in those curves! Have you ever been there?

Oh, I intend to start beekeeping! I ordered seeds with bees in mind, and I am checking over my fabrics to create beekeeper gear.

And I plan to take some hikes in the woods and listen see if I can locate the bees, if they survived the winter. And then set up a hive and hope to attract them to live here, not just have lunch and leave! And I will carry a bag for morels, just in case they get in my way! :)

I have even located a beekeeper, about 30 miles away, who sells bees each year. So, moving, a bit slow no doubt but so much to learn! He recommends reading Beekeeping for Dummies.

And the very best way to learn besides reading books is to hang out here! ha ha

Thanks for the welcome.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ozark Lady, fellow member Bjorn sells a swarm lure to help attract bee swarms to a hive. You can also use lemongrass oil, or, if you can get one from a local beek, an old frame of honeycomb works well. A combination of the above works best.

Also, swarm season is here, so your catch boxes need to be put out as soon as possible.

7. XLB

XLB New Member

welcome aboard Ozark Lady, good to see ya on the forum. :hi:

my family and i used to live in Missouri, i don't ever recall tecumseh tho.

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi there Ozark Lady,
    Good to have you here, there are plenty of folks who can help you learn about the bees. We have a few hives in our yard but hope to expand soon. Reading and learning all you can about bees before you are fully involved in "keeping" them is a great start. Another helpful place to get information is to see if there is a beekeeping association in your area, many of them have classes for beginners and you may even be able to find a good mentor there.

Looking forward to reading your posts!

9. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Welcome from 5hrs north of ya! I used to work(for Sams daughter) in Rogers and really liked it down there. Iddee was talking about lemongrass oil. Its for inticing the bee's to move a swarm to you to collect bee's for free. Its a fun easy and cheap way to do it. Read up on swarm trapping. also you could start collecting swarms from people in the area that call to get those scary things removed. Also fun and easy. I talked to a guy just west of you(NE OK) a week ago to tell him of a swarm someone had and needed removed. Read up then get some gear and when your ready, holler and we'll get you heading into a wild and exciting experience. Good luck and have fun.

10. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

I am reading all that I can find on beekkeeping. And I am not afraid of honeybees, nor sweat bees, now bumblebees, I am not sure about! Getting stung isn't my favorite pasttime, but it happens, so might as well get some good out of it, (honey).
    I am worried, with locust and the blackberries in full bloom, I should be seeing some bees, I usually see them every year... nada... :-(
    I did notice a swarm catcher in Pineville Mo. from a link in this forum, when I clicked on my state. That is pretty close by, so who knows maybe I can meet him/her and watch a swarm catch first.
    I am still learning the parts of the hive... and trying to figure out the necessary from the unneccessary, and even how do you get honey and not get a bunch of bee maggots (babies) in your honey. I have alot to learn yet.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Try to find a local beek and ask him/her to let you go in a hive with them. Five minutes in a hive will be worth a hundred hours of reading.