Hello from the Eastern Shore of Virginia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by TreeWinder, Jul 7, 2013.

1. TreeWinder

TreeWinder New Member

Great forum, spent the last month reading most of the archives and now jumping in although I read more than post.
    Started helping with grandfather's bees in 1958, full circle now and have grandkids watching and learning from me. Building and keeping TBH's are my main interest. Enjoy reading old bee books especially those from the 1800's.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum treewinder :hi:

I sure do wish it was as easy as it was back in the 1800's or even 1958.

Good bunch of folks on here, just jump in and hang on!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome TreeWinder

Glad you found us! :thumbsup:
    Ahh, 1958, it was an exceptional year. Someone born then would be a spritely 55 now. :wink: :wink:
    Seriously, there are a great bunch of folks here, some who have branched out into TBH's as well.
    Hang around.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Welcome to the forum Ed. What made you decide to go TBH over Langs? In 1958 your grand father used Langstroth hives, unless he was a bee gum and three stump beekeeper.
    Share a little of your grandfathers history With bees, do you still have any of his old equipment or books.
    Helping your grandfather in 1958 that puts you in the seniors class with a few others on the forum.
    Thank for finding this forum and posting.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard....

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome treeWinder glad you are with us on the forum.

Ken

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Ed! I have a couple tbh's and find them very satisfying to build and manage.

8. TreeWinder

TreeWinder New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Grandfather was born 1908 and always stayed in the State of Maine. He was logger who ran his own equipment, raised his food like most all back in the day. He kept 20+ hives until the 1980s, yes the Langs and some British; not sure why he had the 2 different setup. May have been from whomever he got his first boxes from. He always lined out bees when he needed another swarm. I was little but we would go out in a field and he would line them out with a little box. Usually with some friends of his then, they would climb or cut down the tree.
    Having long passed, I don't have any of his old equipment but I do remember his smoker which was I think homemade as it was made out of wood and leather. The square smoke box was lined with tin or something. I really remember that cause I got to light the smoker; a little kid with matches :grin:
    I recently got into my own beekeeping and after reading up, the TBH's interested me/ no absolute reason. I've built 5 - 48"ers and 2 - 10bar Split/nuc boxes.

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I would like to add my welcome to the rest you've received. :hi:
    Now, what's this about reading more than you post? That's against the rules. :rules: :lol:
    I'm sure you have lots of knowledge to share and we can learn much from you.
    Again, welcome.

10. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Welcome, I spent some time there catching blue crabs many years ago. Took several nice strippers also. Very nice area you live in. Tom