Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My name is Teresa, and I am in the Gold Country in the Sierra Nevada foothills of Northern California. My husband and I have 3 kiddos, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 11 chickens. We live on 10 acres out in the country. We spend our time working on our farmhouse, fighting back poison oak and learning to be self sufficient. We'd love to add bees to our land and am coming on here to find like minded folks and learn as much as we can!!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
welcome aboard Teresa. You couldnt have found a friendlier more knowlegeble bee Forum on the WWW. Hope to see you around often

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
welcome to the world of bees and beekeepers. mind you the bees can become an obsession.

ps.. we use to have someone else who would show up here from time to time from your neck of the woods. I always get Sutter's Mill and Sutter's Fort confused... but I think they were more towards the Fort than the Mill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks!

I believe that Sutters Fort is where they settled, in Sacramento, and Sutters Mill is about 30 miles east, where James Marshall found gold while building a mill on the river. I only know this because I chaperoned my 1st grader's field trip to Coloma!

I look forward to learing a lot here!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome Teresa :wave:
Yes, bees are important part of self sufficient living :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Welcome Teresa, my ex wife name was Teresa, bless her soul she died of cancer last Oct. I am just starting out in beekeeping myself and here to learn all I can in keeping them alive and in good shape.

Kebee

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Hello Teresa:
Glad you found us and welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping.
Lots of friendly folks here with a wealth of information waiting to be tapped into, and the best part........it's free :yahoo:
Ask questions, lots of 'em, there's no such thing as a silly one. Remember, we were all new to this at one time, (well except maybe Iddee and tecumseh) ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
tecumseh said:
welcome to the world of bees and beekeepers. mind you the bees can become an obsession.

ps.. we use to have someone else who would show up here from time to time from your neck of the woods. I always get Sutter's Mill and Sutter's Fort confused... but I think they were more towards the Fort than the Mill.

Are you refering to me tecumseh??? If so, I live closer to the mill :)

Welcome Teresa!
I'm still in my first year of beekeeping up here in Cameron Park. Have you been to the local club's site? http://www.sacbeekeepers.org. There's the local bee supply in Sacramento, http://www.sacramentobeekeeping.com/

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
them California folks always show up late to the party... but when they do show the party is on.

I do get the two quite confused... we have a cousin (lived in Sacramento at the time, but now has moved a bit further south) who actively participated in the restoration of the Fort. he did some blacksmith work there.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Greetings Teresa :hi:
You can count 3 kiddos, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 11 chickens and even 10 acres. but
trying to count your bees, when you start with them will prove frustrating. :yahoo:
Maybe you'll inspire someone to create a bee-counting machine (Tecumseh is famous for his innovations--keep your eyes open for his words of wisdom).

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
oh ef 'the stick' will do that (didn't my agent 2kool explain that to ya')... you do need to purchase a special app to make it work properly.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Tec, Does your improved model include an automatic dipper into marking paint so that you don't count the same bee twice?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts