hello from upstate NY near the Berkshires and VT

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by weathershaman, May 25, 2011.

1. weathershaman

weathershaman New Member

Hi all, we are new beekeepers, old homesteaders. We have llamas, a goat, dogs and cats on 18 acres here in upstate NY. Hoping we can learn and share about beekeeping with everyone.

Jules

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome. Sounds like you are in the same area as Sqkcrk. He's nearly in Canada, he's so far upstate.

3. weathershaman

weathershaman New Member

Actually we are on the MA/NY/VT border, about south of Canada, about one hour east of Albany, NY. Anyone on the forum from our neighborhood?

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Hello Jules and welcome to the forum :wave: ,all the folks here are great.Sounds like you got a nice little farm up there,and the barnyard critters to boot.Come say hi in the chat -box when you visit,we got folks in the chat-box early in the morning and again all through the evening.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We've got one in Brasher Falls, NY

6. weathershaman

weathershaman New Member

Cool. We are primarily in the tri-state Taconics/Berkshires...there's a ton of beekeepers out here, wish i knew where they all were at!

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hi weathershaman and welcome to the forum :wave:

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum weatherman. hope to see you around often its a great place to hang around

9. weathershaman

weathershaman New Member

Thanks Riverrat...I hear you on the bugs, my husband actually fell in love with them and became our official beekeeper although I'm the one on the forum LOL!

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nifty web site you got also!

11. weathershaman

weathershaman New Member

Thank you. I have always believed that sharing photos and information is a great way to promote the well being of the planet...

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome Weathershaman:
    I thibk we're just a little north of you (up here in the tundra according to Iddee :mrgreen: )
    Checked out your website too, very nice.
    Welcome to our friendly forum, lots of information to be gleaned and don't hesitate to ask questions. If you post one it does not take very long to get an answer here. It has worked well for me :thumbsup:

13. Omie

Omie New Member

I'm about 50 minutes southeast of Albany.

Hi and welcome!
    I do veg gardening, cats, bicycling etc as well. :wave:

14. weathershaman

weathershaman New Member

So great to know you all! Beekeeping is as mysterious as the creation of good soil, and just as interesting if not more.

Here's a question: It's May, should we add supers? Our bees are making honey comb in weird places...where I live, my tomato plants are still in the greenhouse (see my farm blog) so there are blooms but primarily on strawberry plants and dandelions.

Southeast of Albany...like, New Lebanon, or Hudson maybe?

I'm about 50 minutes southeast of Albany.

Hi and welcome!
    I do veg gardening, cats, bicycling etc as well. :wave:[/quote]

15. Omie

Omie New Member

I'm 20 min from Hudson.

Supers- In our area, we need to have two deep size brood boxes for winter survival. You only add boxes when the cureent boxes are almost full. So you could add a super IF you already have two deeps (or 3-4 mediums) of brood area almost filled up. Normally, you'll never be taking honey from your brood boxes.
    If these are first year hives, your odds are probably less than 50% that you'll get a honey harvest this year from them. Usually, the first year for a hive is spent in building up the population and the brood area and them making drawn comb.

'Some' people get lucky and their first year hive takes off fast, fills enough brood boxes for their over-wintering needs, and then proceeds to fill supers with some honey too. My two new nucs last year did not get beyond filling their two deep brood boxes each, which they went into winter with.

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nothin' like local advice????

and welcome.

17. weathershaman

weathershaman New Member

Thank you! We are building some boxes to go over our two hives during the winter, right now, two brood hives...for the winter. I'm in the mountains and it got very very cold last winter. We plan to feed all summer. This is our first year. Thank you, any other suggestions please email me offline at: photonicgirl@gmail.com...thank you so much. Jules

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome to the fourm weathershaman, Does your name indicate that you have something to do with the weather :confused: If so come on down, we need a change here in SW. Mo. :thumbsup: Jack