Hello peoples!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ivan, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Ivan

Ivan New Member

Hi I'm a 20 year young from CO that recently found this forum and so far like it. Been a beekeeper since 15...started with 13 swarms :eek: a little more now and thinking of expanding..... am i welcome here?

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi there Ivan :wave: 13 swarms sounds like an incredible way to get started! You'll have to tell us about it sometime. Welcome to the forum, there are lots of friendly folks here so jump on in!

3. Charles

Charles New Member

Hi Ivan, welcome to the board! Where in Colorado are you from? We're in Fort Collins close to the foothills.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome Ivan and you are most welcome to the forum. 13 swarms as a beginer WOW way to go, sounds like the bee keeping bug bit you good.

Lots of great people on here to answer any and all questions, jump in and hang on.

G3

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard Ivan.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome aboard. Glad to see you found us.

7. Ivan

Ivan New Member

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I'm located in Arvada. Sometimes go to BCBA meetings. I'm also on beemaster but this forums seems very good...i will tell a little how it started.
    This happened late winter/early spring. We had a swing over a ditch on a big old cottonwood tree. There were bees in it but i never really paid attention to them....sometimes we would throw rocks at them to get them mad but one time i really tried to get them mad. I got a stick, climbed up a tree and stuck that stick in there house :shock: i don't know why but they didn't really get mad....all i got was some honey on the stick :mrgreen: I think if that didn't happen i wouldn't be in beekeeping now.
    That honey kinda looked good so i tasted it and i was shocked! I never tasted honey this good in my life even though my uncle was a beekeeper and we always ate a lot honey. I got hooked! I went to the library and read everything that there was about beekeeping. Called a beekeeping store and ordered a package of bees :roll:.....didn't think about catching a swarm (didn't read enough i guess) I visited that tree at night every chance i got. Using a flashlight i could see whats going on inside which got me more exited. As spring was rolling in the cluster of bees was getting bigger and bigger. During this time i met some local beekeepers witch i didn't think even existed :yahoo: gave them my phone # in case they had a spare swarm. The first swarm that i captured that spring was from that tree....so was the second and the third. The rest came from the beekeepers. Now i have swarm traps set up in the trees of open spaces. Get several a year.
    This is my story. If you have questions feel free to ask them.
    Sorry about my grammar...I'm not native and its hard sometimes to get everything right

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

nice story...

you will however need to get a good runnin start since I started at the age of 12. I am a bit older than that now.. although my mind is still 12.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tec's body is 12 also, with a 1 missing in front of it. :mrgreen:

So how many hives do you have now??

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

about 200+ although I haven't counted them of late. if the season works out like I expect (it never does ya' know?) I hope to get to the 300 number this springtime.... possible branch out a bit into the local pollination business.

your calculation is absolutely dead on bro...

11. XLB

XLB New Member

nice to see ya Ivan, VERY interesting way to get started in beekeeping. I never really had the guts to intentionally make stinging insects mad. But hey, if it got you into beekeeping, that's cool. :thumbsup:

anyway, welcome aboard! :hi: :wave:

12. Ivan

Ivan New Member

Thanks for all the welcomes!

???

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think iddee was sayin' my body appears more like 112.... which on certain days is about dead on target.

ps... I always enjoy seeing anyone less than 60 show some interest in beekeeping whether here or at our bee club

14. noahsbees

noahsbees New Member

WELCOME!!!

I know that you will enjoy this forum!