Hello World. I'm not really a beekeeper ...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pgibson, Nov 19, 2011.

1. pgibson

pgibson New Member

:confused: The bees are keeping me. I'm starting to realize I'm in too deep. I love my bees, but I'm afraid I'll lose them if I don't figure out what I'm doing quickly. Here is my dilemma (Thanks for directing me here Charles):

I have always loved honeybees and when a large hive fell out of a tree onto my patio earlier this summer, I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving them alone. I’ve recently been advised that they will not make it through the winter in this condition, and I feel just awful. What can I do to give them the best chance for survival? I have pictures that I can send, and I need help and advice. What can be done quickly with best chance for their survival? I live in the Central Valley, San Joaquin County, California.

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Are they out in the open?

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

The least you can do is put them in a box or put a box over them to shelter them from the weather.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

not sure what kind of weather you get in your area but putting them in even a heavy cardboard box with some kind of weatherproof covering might at least get them through the winter. Getting wet and then cold will kill them off in short order.
    What is going to matter the most is if they have enough winter stores to make it through the winter and/or if you are willing to feed them.

Some pics would help out greatly.

and............Welcome to the sight :hi: , lots of friendly folks here to answer any questions and help you work on your bee problems, and yes it sounds like the bug has bitten you!! :lol: :lol:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the upside is you are in a place with relatively mild winters so you likely still have some time on your side.

I would guess the bees are still in the tree but not in their original position??? This means the orientation of the individual cells is likely now ALL WRONG. if the tree fell hard enough, some of the wax may well be shattered beyond use. Given you location this may be about the best time of year to do either a transfer or trap out since everything else that might prey on the bees is basically inactive. iddee is kind of the man in regards to take outs and such, so whatever he says go with that.

good luck... it is good to see someone with their heart in the right place.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

At the top of the page in red letters is "email webmaster". Please send pics to webmaster or post them on the forum. Then we can see what needs to be done.
    Welcome, and thanks for making the effort.

7. Charles

Charles New Member

Hi Pam, glad you made it. Here's a link that shows you how to post pictures on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4117

Post the pictures and we'll take a look at what your up against...

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

and lets make sure we are infact talking about honeybees, never heard of combs " falling " off a tree without help. have seen a hornet or yellowjacket nest come off a tree, again with help.
    Welcome to the site hope to see more of you all. :hi:
    Barry

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Would it not be advisable to try to locate a local beekeeper or swarm remover and try to get them to come over and advise you on your options?

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Slowmodem, but qood thinking :thumbsup: . :lol: Jack

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, it will be, as soon as we find out the details. In Calif., a beek may charge when it's not honeybees or if the owner wants to keep the bees. We need to assess the situation before she invites a complete stranger into her home.