Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dktreasures, Nov 21, 2016.

1. dktreasures

dktreasures New Member

Hello. I'm from central Texas. I'm wanting to get started on beekeeping. I already bought a hive, need to paint it and set it up. I have read a lot on beekeeping.

2. camero7

camero7 Member

3. DavidHefner

DavidHefner New Member

I enjoy beekeeping but don't have a lot of success with keeping them alive. A lot of corn in my area and it is said that the pesticides may have a great affect. On that note I still keep up the studies on those little creatures. Having empty hives in the yard I still am able to keep up the esthetics of the landscape.lol. I have a woodshop in my garage and have had more success making stuff for beekeepers. I did a recent price check at my local farm store and they were asking $120.00 for a starter kit. I told the store keeper I can make my own for a little over $10.00.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

BeeWeavers in Dripping Springs is where I order queens from, I think they also have a bee school if you are interested in hands on. Join your local bee club for the best price on nucs. And welcome

5. leftytd

leftytd New Member

I am also just getting started with bees. I just ordered my first nuc from BeaWeavers. Are they good bees? I am to pick it up in May

6. camero7

camero7 Member

Never dealt with them but they have a good reputation. Don't know where you are but if you're in the south they should work fine. Some northern beekeepers have reported heavy winter losses.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I really like my Beeweavers bees. I just buy the queens, do local swarm pickups and removals to keep the boxes warm. Beeweavers bees are a little hot but not bad, and it seems to go with their more positive traits, they form a tight small cluster in winter so rarely starve out, and the queens lay early and fast in the spring to catch our fairly short North Texas flow

8. leftytd

leftytd New Member

Thanks! I live in Mexia and just getting started.