Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 1234Austin, Mar 8, 2011.

1. 1234Austin

1234Austin New Member

Hi, my name is Austin. I'm from PA. My dad and I got in to bee keeping last year and we started out with 2 hives. We lost one over the winter but I'm planing on ordering some nuces to replace it / expand with this year.
    I'm glad to be here and hope to learn a lot! :)

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And we're glad to have you. That's a very good example of why it is recommended that anyone start with two hives. It's not a total failure when you lose one.

Welcome, and I hope you like it here.

3. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Welcome Austin. So glad you decided to join us. Jump in often.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Austin :wave:
    Welcome to the forum, and don't be shy. hope to see you around!!

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi Austin :wave: This is a great forum, there are lots of helpful and friendly people here. I'm sure we are all anxious to read more posts from you so jump right on in.

I'm sorry that you lost a hive, it's always sad when that happens. Do you know what caused your hive to die?

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome Austin, sorry you lost a hive, we've all been there. We'll be looking foreward to your post. Jack

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello Austin:

This is a great place to learn, glad you found it!
    Welcome aboard!

8. 1234Austin

1234Austin New Member

In reply to mama beeks question, I have no idea what they died from. All the bees were in a cluster in very life like positions. It was like they all of a sudden just stopped moving. They didn't show any signs of disease that I could find, and they still had about 50lbs of honey on them. I can’t figure it out. Maybe someone else on here has an idea? Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Austin:

You say your bees were still in a cluster, in very life like positions.
    Two things come to my mind (a dangerous place, I know)
    #1 - cluster size was just too small and they could not generate enough heat to keep the cluster viable.
    #2 - was there any signs of brood in that cluster? They may have begun raising brood and hit a cold snap. The bees will not break cluster (abandoning the brood) to shift onto winter stores.
    If the weather turns suddenly and gets cold real quick, I have found small clusters "frozen" in place in several areas of the hive, the bees having broken cluster to access stores and then got caught out in different spots in the hive. This doesn't sound like what you have described though.

And sometimes "stuff" just happens despite our best efforts and intentions. None of us likes losing even a single hive, but sometimes that is what happens.

10. SmithN

SmithN New Member

Welcome to the forum Austin, I hope you enjoy it!

I'm so sorry you lost your hive.
    Losing a hive is always disappointing.

Maybe Nosema ceranae killed the hive..
    Austin were your bees fed fumigillin-B in the fall?

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

It does sound like they either got cold or hungry Austin. I was only asking out of curiosity... sorry to make you think back on something so unpleasant.

Welcome again... there are plenty of good people here to visit with, so pop in often.

12. rast

rast New Member

Hey Austin, welcome.

13. 1234Austin

1234Austin New Member

PB, The cluster of this hive was a fairly large size, and the bees were sitting on capped honey. As someone on here mentioned, it could have been Nosema. They weren't feed Fumigillin-B in the fall. I am feeding it to my other hive right now though. It just didn't seem like a good year for beekeeping around here. My neighbor lost 5 out of 6 of his hives. Surprisingly, it was one of his weakest hives that survived.

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Austin:
    Perhaps it was Nosema, or ......?
    That is what makes beekeeping so interesting, we never stop learning. You have done well, avoiding a common mistake and only starting with one hive. You have succesfully overwintered the other one and can split it should you choose and now have drawn comb to further speed thiongs up in your expansion. With folks around you losing 5 of 6, I would say your glass is half full! :mrgreen: