Help again, Is ths a swarm cell. already. Feb 14th?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok this is crazy.

This hive is a singledeep with a medium sitting on top. No brood in the medium but very heavy, lots of capped honey.

This was a swarm we captured and only had 9 frames to put in the box. Needless to say they built comb between frames to fill the spaces (newbie mistake) anyway, been relunctant to dig into this deep because of the mess. Well I decided to do it today and found this.

2013-02-14_13-14-15_482.jpg 2013-02-14_13-14-27_37.jpg

Now, this deep in no where near full.. But, I think maybe she is bound. There is 3 frames of capped brood, larva and eggs. I did not see queen but I did see new eggs. Then there was a frame of pollen on each side of the brood frames . Then on the other side of pollen frames were nothing. Just open drawn comb. 2 on one side and 3 one the other. And capped honey all the way across the top.

Why did I find these 2 queen cells?

Here's is what I did on the fly. I moved one of the pollen frames out and stuck one of the empty drawn comb frames next to a brood frame. and I sat a empty deep on top of this deep. Then sat the medium of honey on top of that.

So in the bottom deep it's 2 empty frames, a pollen frame, 3 capped brood, empty drawn frame, pollen frame and 2 empty frames.

If I need to adjust I can this afternoon. I read that I am not supposed to remove queen cells and I didn't until I saw all the fresh eggs and all the space they had on the outside of the pollen frames.. I am wondering about maybe adding another open drawn comb frame on the other side of the brood frames.

Hopefully I caught them in time and by giving them some room maybe I can change their mind.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""I am wondering about maybe adding another open drawn comb frame on the other side of the brood frames.""

Yes, do. The pollen frames are walls to the queen. She will not cross them.

PS. 2 cells are most likely supercedure cells. 6 to 20 would be swarm cells. This is what happens normally, but not set in stone. They could be swarm cells, with the small amount of brood area. Try to get the pollen more toward the outside.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ok,

I'll move the pollen frames out some more.

If they are supercedure cells they can still draw out more if they feel inclinded as they have eggs to do it with correct? Something to watch for.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

correct.:thumbsup:

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Once you have a good bee population and a couple of extra frames of bees, you could take advantage of cells like that to start a nuc! :Dancing:

- you'd be leaving the cells (and some fresh eggs just in case) in place, and taking the old queen out to start the nuc with.

6. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Omie,

I am going to do (try) that this spring/summer.

I posted an update on the Lots of capped brood thread you have been helping me with. I took a picture of a frame from my big have and have an update for ya there. Let me know what you think.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member