Help. Brood in the back, empty comb in front and no nectar/pollen stores

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by Kate Travaille, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Kate Travaille

Kate Travaille New Member

Hi
    I live in Seattle WA. I have 3 Golden Mean hives.
    My question is about how they're building up the comb in the hive. The brood is at the back of the hive and the front has empty comb. I don't see much nectar or pollen.
    I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about why my bees are drawing their comb that way and why they aren't storing pollen or nectar.
    I'd love any advice or thoughts about whats going on.
    Thanks!

2. ccjersey

ccjersey New Member

They aren't storing it if they don't have it available.

Is there a queen/brood? The pollen haul increases dramatically when there is brood.

Might try setting up a sugar syrup feeder and see if they take a bunch of it.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about where the brood has to be, but in a Langstroth it is usually in the center of the super with the outermost frames on either side generally used for honey once they are drawn.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are in a nectar dearth, and you don't have a major flowering of anything going on, I would start feeding some bees.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If you are in a nectar dearth, and you don't have a major flowering of anything going on, I would start feeding some bees.