Help, Hive Beetles?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Michbeeman63, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

I was pulling off some supers and saw a few hive beetles. I live in Southern Michigan. I see the idea of taking political signs and greasing the ends with crisco and putting some boric acid in them and stapling them in the bottom and top of the hive? Would you recommend this. Is there a risk to the bees? Is the chance of the beetles being a problem less in the fall. I am told you can treat the ground in the spring to prevent them from reemerging.

Don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Fatbeeman's signboard trap works fine.

A few adults should cause no alarm. It's the larva and slime that cause trouble. A couple of traps, either the signboard or otherwise, should be sufficient in Mich.

3. Michbeeman63

Michbeeman63 New Member

Iddee,

do you put them only on the bottom or staple them on the top of frames and on the inner cover? Do the beetles stay in the traps when they die? Just want to know how they are supposed to work.

I plan to treat the soil in the spring to prevent them from reemerging after winter. My understanding is that they go away for the winter and come back when things are warmer.

thanks again.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't use anything in the hives. I keep them in full sun and don't have a beetle problem. I have just read about different people's success with the boric acid traps.