Help! Hive under siege!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

Went out to open the chicken coop this morning and there was a distinct aroma of honey in the air. . .turned around to see my hive #4 under siege. . .from everybody!!! Ants and yj's of course, but flies, too!! When I saw the flies, I thought it must be a deadout even though as late as yesterday morning I saw girls coming and going. Put my ear up against the box and can hear them humming in there. . .not a frenzied robbing buzz; rather a colony hum. They always have robber screens on, but this morning I taped up every breech in the hive. . .messed up corners, other open spaces. I even pulled the outer cover back to close up the inner cover entrance notch, stood back and watched the yj's and continued to tape up breeches until they couldn't get in anymore. Of course, the bees are looking for those same breeches, but they'll just have to go to the opening in the robber screen. I'm also concerned because nobody's guarding the entrance and there don't seem to be many "defenders". I'm afraid it's going to get more hectic once the hives are in the sun.

I feel that opening the hive would be the worst thing I could do at this point. . .besides, I don't feel like suiting up in these temps (cooler weather is hopefully around the corner). I was thinking of turning on the hose and "raining" on the hive to chase off the interlopers.

Any ideas?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Make a yellow jacket trap, i don't rember how but someone on here probably does. It's a liter pop bottle with a hole in the lid (don't remember the size of the hole) baited with a piece of meat.I made one one time and got rid of my yellow jacket problem. Jack

3. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks, Jack. Forgot to mention that I make those traps routinely every year. Got two hanging for about the past 3 weeks. They catch yj's like crazy and I have to clean them out and refill them all the time, but apparently this particular batch of yj's prefer honey (or baby bees) to Pepsi. Go figure!

4. pturley

pturley New Member

If your hive is really low, at mid-day switch hive locations with a stronger hive in the same yard. The foragers will return to the original hive location, adding to your weak hive.

The stronger hive will be better able to fend off the YJs.

Then set a fatty piece of raw beef trimmings near your hives. Leave it undefended for at least a day. This and the stronger defense may change the YJ mind about feeding on bee brood.

Then once the robbing stops and the wasps are fixated on the new food source, drop the meat in a trap at this same spot and kill them all.