Help, I think it's robbing.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Went to chrck on hives this morning and al looked normal but this one hive. Bee were gathered at entrance and
    landing board. Then I noticed a clump of 3 bees or so would fall to the gound. Got home from work and went down to bee yard. Still going on. I got a close look this time and saw a bunch of dead bees on ground under hive entrance. Still clumps of 3 to 4 bees falling on ground. Bees with pollen still coming in. I watched for a while and I guess I am seeing robbing. I open the lid breifly and everything looked normal from the top. I did not open but just long enough to look inside.

I have not been feeding for 2 weeks and I don't open feed. Inside from top cover only.

So, should I wip up one of Perry robber screens tonight and put it on or wait till tomorrow and see if they return.

I have entrance reducer on the front entrance.

I think it's happened a couple times before with different hives as I have seen the ground with lots of dead bees but I have never witnessed it while it was happening.

Thanks,

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"So, should I wip up one of Perry robber screens tonight and put it on or wait till tomorrow and see if they return."

i think that's iddees robbing screen you are talking about yankee11....if it's robbing, and most likely this time of year, i would, and i wouldn't wait. also i get a robbing screen on all my hives when it starts. describe what else you see?
    lots of bees flying and trying to get in the hive?......and bits of wax on the landing board, and bottom board. your frames of honey will look 'chewed', kind of ragged looking. i wouldn't open the hive to look at the frames now, or the bottom board, i would just place the screen on.

3. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

So sorry, your right it is Iddees.

I just made one and will put it on tonight. I guess the best time is at night since all the bees will be inside and have to figure their way out.

Yes, lots of bee flying aruund front of hive. Almost like orientation flights except all day and not as high up. Not sure of wax on bottom board as I us screened bottom boards and didn't pull any frames yet.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That's alright, I'll take credit for Iddee's stuff (excepting any of his recipes for snake, gator, anything venomous, crawly, slithery, roadkill, etc.) Those are all his!

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

night time is great, most all your bees should be in. they will figure their way out, i don't have iddee's screen, have a different one, but the girls figure their way in and out, and the robbers can't figure the way in.

"Yes, lots of bee flying aruund front of hive. Almost like orientation flights except all day and not as high up. Not sure of wax on bottom board as I us screened bottom boards and didn't pull any frames yet."

that's indicative of robbing yankee, bits of wax will be out the front door as well, on the landing board. don't open the hive right now to check frames or the bottom board, just get the screen on.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry said:
    "That's alright, I'll take credit for Iddee's stuff (excepting any of his recipes for snake, gator, anything venomous, crawly, slithery, roadkill, etc.) Those are all his! "

:lol:

dang, i think i would perry! well minus all the rest......:lol:

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Just for future reference, In an emergency, a roll of window screen, a pair of scissors, a staple gun and some twigs or 3/8 doweling will slow down robbers.

As a matter of fact 4 of my 5 large hives are currently wearing that fashion, as is my neighbors that started from my swarm. The nuc hive has the only 10 frame robber screen, and the biggest hive, I had to pull their screen they were too numerous and having major issues getting in and out. (the double nuc is now in a deep with a real bolted on robber screen, not shown.)

Attached Files:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Perry, you've got to come down here and learn to eat the good stuff. You can't always live on snow cream, snow cones, and snow balls. Especially snow balls, if they come from polar bears. :shock:

9. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

OK heading down to bee yard. Man I hate messing with at night. Creapy and they get by your ears and just buzz. Really have to trust the ole jacket :???:

I also have 2 small hives that are just getting going. 1 with a newly mated queen and the other with a queen I aquired and started a nuc. They both have about 3 frames of capped brood right now and all is going well. I just put on a jar of 1 to 1 inside the hive this afternoon. They have real small ( about an inch) entrance reducer on them. I wonder what the chances
    of these robbers coming back and trying to get in these 2 hives tomorrow. They could not stand very much robbing. 1 is in one deep and the other in 1 medium.

I guess I'll make 2 more of Iddee's robber screens tonight and have them ready to deploy.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""I wonder what the chances
    of these robbers coming back and trying to get in these 2 hives tomorrow.""

The chances are about 99.999%. Get the screens on all your hives asap.

11. Gypsi

Deploy at night. That is best. I worse jacket and gloves and carried precut screens and a staple gun. 3 staples each, side, side and front. Went back in the morning with doweling.

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That's the real sign of robber bees---they zig-zag in front of the hive entrance, looking for a break in order to sneak in. It's not the same as the relaxed flying of orientation flights. It's very important to recognize this behavior.
    Once they pass the entrance they can do whatever they want inside the hive.

13. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks everyone,
    I made and installed 4 robber screens last night on my 4 weeker hives. The other 3 hives are very strong and it was getting late. I will check today and see whats is happening. I cut the material for the other 3.

I did install entrance reducers on the other 3 strong hives. About a inch opening.

Bees dont like you messing with their entances at night.:roll:

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you''re not opening the hive, only "messing with their entrances at night", it can be done easily enough with a few carefully directed puffs of smoke. Those bees at the entrance can be guided into the hive and then, while they are backed away from the entrance you can do what you want on the outside. (Provided there are no alternate entrances/exits for them to use.)

15. Gypsi

That no alternate entrances is important, and important in deterring robbers too.

16. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Heres what I saw when I got home today. I have no idea if the screens are working. Maybe someone can tell me if this is normal looking the first day.

2012-10-16_14-06-34_850.jpg 2012-10-16_14-11-54_637.jpg 2012-10-16_14-07-30_40.jpg

17. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I would say yes-the bees just haven't figured out yet how to get into the hive with the robber screen on. They should figure it out pretty quickly.

18. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Gunsmith- You mean the house bees should figure it out right? Not the robber bees.

19. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I did some watching this evening and I think I might have figurd it out. Does this seem right to everyone.

I was watching the fighting going on up close this evening. Then I noticed with all the fighting and flying going on that my other hives were very clm. The 3 big hives withut screen. It was getting dark so I thought if these robber bees were starting to head home for the night I should see them going into the hive the live in. NOTHING from any of my hives. So i walk to my neighbors 3 hives about 300ft away. @ of his hives are as clm as can be. BUT, the now top bar hive we captured about a month ago was coming in like there ws a flow on. And they were coming from my direction. I did another walk around all hives and the only activity was the 2 fighting hives of mine athough it was calming down and his top bar hive that they flying into only.

SO, can I deduct from this activity that this is where the robbers are coming from? He is feeding them inside the top bar hive.

Heres what I did, I plugged the entrance holes of the top bar hive to keep them in for tomorrow. They have food and air circulation inside their hive. This should tell me if my Pink Panther investegative skills are any good Huh? If no robbing tomorrow then we have to decide what to do. Which will be my bext question on this board:thumbsup:

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

By then the robbers should have given up and stay home.

Yes, Gunsmith meant the house bees.