Help! I think my bees have Nosema?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Good Day Sunshine, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Good Day Sunshine

Good Day Sunshine New Member

Help! I think my bees have nosema. There is fecal staining on the front of my hive and there are lots of dead bees all around the hive. I watched them for a while and it looks like they are trying to come out to defecate in this frigid weather (it's 10 degrees here) and they are just dropping dead as son as they are out of the hive. Can I treat them? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Nosema is only diagnosed through dissection. Nosema cerana, the more common strain does not present with fecal staining.
    You could be seeing normal winter behavior or you may have fed them something with high solids like brown sugar or carmelized sugar.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What Gary said. :thumbsup:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    There is fecal staining on the front of my hive and there are lots of dead bees all around the hive. I watched them for a while and it looks like they are trying to come out to defecate in this frigid weather (it's 10 degrees here) and they are just dropping dead as son as they are out of the hive.

tecumseh...
    there is a field test (not proof positive but sometimes it is all the tools you have available) where by you pull apart any worker that you think is effected separating the thorax from the abdomen with the idea of sting out their hind gut. a non affect worker hind gut should be clear and an affect worker hind gut will appear cloudy or murky. by you description of bee flying at such a low temperature (fairly classical symptoms) I would guess that you do have a nosema problem. I myself would pull out some fumidil and treat and see if the problem clears itself up. If you do not have a microscope or the skills to use one then any lab test will take so long that the hive is likely to be very dead before you ever have any lab results to review.