Help identifying a bug

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Bigwig, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

It isn't exactly bee related, but I would appreciate everyone's help. I think this is an Oriental cockroach, but I'm not sure.[attachment=1:21j2sp5f]P1010010.JPG[/attachment:21j2sp5f][attachment=0:21j2sp5f]P1010012.JPG[/attachment:21j2sp5f]

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

looks like a click bug. pick it up and hold it between your fingers, it should try to pop its head up and down making a tiny clicking sound.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

I should also mention it has a hard exoskeleton.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

cause it is a beetle

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It's definitely not a roach! Their order is Blattodes and they undergo a simple, gradual metamorphosis. The adults have four membraneous wings that are held folded over the back.
    You have taken a photo of a beetle. It undergoes a full metamorphosis and the adult has two flying wings folded under two hard protective "wings" elytra). I'm away from home now and don't have access to my library and from your picture it is hard to give a definitive identification but I think the common name of your insect is a "Click beetle". The larvae develop in the ground and feed on roots. HOWEVER, there are many wood boring beetles, and I've read that there is a small hive beetle that has been causing a great deal of hive damage in the south. Don't let my very possibly inaccurate identification put you at ease--check it out with a local beekeeper or entomologist who knows the beetles of your area.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Definitely not a hive beetle. Looks like the click beetles we have here.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm glad not to be able to recognize the hive beetle. Thank God, we don't have them here----Yet(?)

9. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

For sure not a small hive beetle. Here's what those problems n' a half look like:[attachment=0:1iaez5qu]P1010016 (2).JPG[/attachment:1iaez5qu]

Attached Files:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Bigwig that is one of the better pics of a SHB I have seen posted.

Just a note also, that one has his head and antenna extended out, if they are running and trying to hide they will tuck them in.

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ive never seen an all black click beatle before...kool..the ones here can get pretty big and have cobra type makings on their backs...hmmmm...we also have a wood boreing beatle that looks kinda like that...its all black and has mandables of death (dont want to think how bad it would hurt to get bit)...click beatles have strong jaws too...like G3farms said...if its a click beatle it will try to click or pop in your hand...never had one try and bite me...they just close all their legs in and ''click''...i agree...click beatle def :|

12. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Thanks. I did get lucky considering how fast the suckers move. And you're right about them tucking in the antennae when on the move...

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

there is also a false click beetle.

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

whats that look like ???

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Very much like the above pic, just a bit shorter and some other subtle differences. The one biggest thing to look for is on the false beetle, he will quiver his antenna continuously.

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

does it still click ???

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

18. melrose

melrose New Member

It's a click beetle, put your finger on his back, and he'll hit his head on the ground, making a clicking sound. When you let him go, the action of hitting his head on the ground will make him jump into the air.

19. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Bigwig, that is definitely a click beetle. I saw a few of these in my yard after my husband brought home some pine from southern Texas to cut for lumber and figured they got transported in. I had never seen them this large before and ended up doing some research to confirm it. I also had a few that had round spots on them that looked like eyes. They come in several sizes, shapes and markings. Also known as snapping or spring beetles because they have a mechanism in the joint that reacts like a spring which creates the clicking sound when they feel threatened. Here are a few links for more info on them.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/click_beetle.aspx
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_beetle
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nuytsia_pix/3144006550/

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

We have those in the pic or what looks like those in the barn. They hide under the feed buckets in the horse stalls.