Help I've lost my queen

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by james007, May 29, 2015.

1. james007

james007 New Member

I checked my hives today and one of them has apparently lost a queen. I had no eggs or brood of any kind. I also had no fresh wax cappings under the screened bottom like the rest of the hives. I did, however, find three supercedure cells that had been opened. I couldn't find a queen. I last checked my hives 7 days ago and at that time had some sealed brood and thought I had some open brood. At this point, I'm not sure whether I should hurry and order a new queen or give them some time to see if I have a new queen and if she'll start laying. The bees in this hive aren't as dense as the other hives and I'm also wondering if I should steal a frame of sealed brood from another hive to give this one a boost. ???? Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Lots of possibilities. Send some pics of the "opened" queen cells. If you were queenright 7 days ago, and you don't see queen cells, what you are seeing are emergency cells are under construction.

Don't panic. It's still early in the season in the mid-south. And you have other colonies. Welcome to the learning curve.

3. james007

james007 New Member

Thanks. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if the monsoon season will let up.
    Thanks much.

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I wouldn't rush to buy a new queen.

One scenario is that there is a Q present but she's hiding. If a Q is present the bees will be working normally. They will be bringing in nectar and pollen. They will be moving calmly over the comb and polishing empty brood cells.

I would give the hive time. With other hives, you have the fall-back to sort things out if it is queenless.

5. james007

james007 New Member

My guess is that I lost her during robbing maybe a couple of weeks ago. If so I think I'm looking at two more weeks before the new queen starts laying and I'm seeing eggs? I guess a queenless hive can hold things together that long?

6. camero7

camero7 Member

Usually takes about 6 weeks for laying workers to start. I'd move a frame of eggs/larvae into the hive as insurance.

7. james007

james007 New Member

That sounds right. The hive is pretty sparce and I'm afraid they might have a hard time waiting that long. Thanks

8. camero7

camero7 Member

If they start to build queen cells you'll know for sure the hive is queenless. If they don't look for new eggs and larvae before buying a new queen.

9. james007

james007 New Member

Found 3 supercedure cells open and empty. I think there may be a new queen. Guess I'll check for eggs in a few days. Thanks

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I would consider adding a frame of brood and eggs anyway, just in case.

11. james007

james007 New Member

That sounds like a real good idea. I have a very strong hive that would be a good one to steal from. Thanks!