Help me Decide...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Apr 23, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well I packaged 2 new hives today so I will have 2 hives going good so the decision is the other 2 hives, one deadout and the other I believe is Queenless we couldn't find her and no eggs...

I'm thinking get a queen for the queenless hive.

Now the deadout has about 8-10 frames of Honey and is closed off. I'd like to do a split but that queenless hive is all I have and no eggs/brood to do a split.

Can I do a split in say like June and let this hive sit or do I need to get a package for that hive?

I know I can get a queen and maybe 2... so split that hive and hang a queen in each?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

How many bees in the queenless hive (refresh my memory)? :oops:
    If you have lots of bees, I would buy a queen and get her in there before workers start laying. Once it has built up well, then get another queen and split it.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

don i would do what perry said, requeen the queenless hive now, let it build up and then divide it, not knowing how strong the hive is, or how long it has been queenless, you might wind up with 2 weak hives if you divided now or other problems. also you have no resources to give each divide.....brood, eggs, larvae, etc.......

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I agree! Gonna hopefully get a queen tonight at the Bee Club meeting. There almost as many bees in that hive as my package and no drones. It also looks as though I can get a Package for the other hive May 5th...

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

well wishes on requeening the hive don, ain't bees cool! can't have enough of them.......:lol:

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Got my new queen now I just have to keep her alive til I can get her in the hive...any tips? she's in a cage with nurse bees and I have her in a dark room.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

don, i replied on your other thread,
    as long as she has live attendants, queen candy, a bit of water swiped across the cage, am, pm, don't swipe with syrup, just a little water, so that it sits on the screen and doesn't drip in the cage. she should be fine until you can get her in the hive.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

My comment is probably late in coming, but it's not critically important (you probably figured it out on your own)---try to keep the queen in a room that's comfortably warm.

9. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well I put the Queen in the hive yesterday and today it's only 54 F and cloudy but there's some bees going in and out...Hopefully I saved the Hive!

3 lb Package and Marked Queen for my 4th Hive is coming May 12th!!!!

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Good luckon the queen and packages Don.
    Depending on when the queen failed if the queen in the first hive failed and did not start laying any spring brood to replace the winter bees that are nearing the end of their life you could find the population dwindling rapidly over the next 3 weeks before new brood emerges. I have found that it is better to emerge queenless colonies with queen right when they are first found and split the colony later when there is lots of new young bees.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Good advice Apis---but what's been done has been done. We'll wait for reports on how things develop.

12. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well Hive 3 and 4 which were new Packages have released their Queen and started building Comb!

Hive 1 was the queenless hive and in 2 days they almost have let the queen out, I had to peek in to fill the feeder and she wasn't released yet...

I also have found a Nature Center close by that looks like will let me start a Beekeeping Club! The Director is real interested and want to start a hive at the nature center and wants to learn Beekeeping too and I get to be a teacher it looks like! I meet with her and go over the details Monday. I'm gonna try and get another Package and Buy another hive and donate it to the Nature Center. Pretty Cool!:cool:

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

That is pretty cool :)

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:thumbsup:
    How about giving some thought to setting up an observation hive. They aren't the easiest thing to manage, but for learning, there's nothing quite like them. Bee lovers can spend hours watching the goings-on in an observation hive.

15. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thought about that...we'll see...I can also have a live feed cam at the entrance if they have a wireless router and internet...

I need to see how tomorrow goes. She wants a hive at the Nature Center but I think she wants to learn it for at home too...

Any links to setting up an observation hive?