help me ID these....

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by 2kooldad, Aug 8, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I belive this first picture is rabbit Tabacco...white flowers and fuzzy silverish stem...and the second i cant find in the book but it is a really cool plant....the bees dont go to the flower but rather a nector node at the base of the leaf bract....watched them do it my self

Attached Files:

2. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Sorry I can't help, but that second pic sure is a beauty.

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

the second one is partridge pea....the first one is NOT rabbit tobacco...still looking on that one.....im going to keep my eyes out for bees on blooms untill ive done them all around my area....i'll be at it for awhile :)

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

Sorry I can't help either, but excellent pictures, especially the second one.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

I assume this is flowering now in Fl.

What size tree bush shrub?

What is fruit / seed after flowering?

First guess is elder berry but should be berries by now not flowers.

6. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Looks like maybe Sweet elder or Canadian elder) The first pic that is.

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

naaa...not elderberrys...(got a gallon of elderberrys in the freezer fixen to be jelly)...i know most of the plants but there are some i dont know the names of or only have the nickname for...i have more pics...but my internet is limited so when i get a chance (maybe tonight) i'll put up more pics to help out....my Florida wildflower book helps but the pictures are so tiny that it hurts, not helps, ID'ing plants sometimes....this fourm only lets me download pics with 2mb or less...an my camera shoots more than that so i have to crop the pics ALOT to cut down the file size before i can post them...ive got some really awesome pics....and one of a feral hive that took over a owl box...then built open comb under it till the box an open comb is about 5 feet long...im still trying to get permission to get closer for better pics.

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

To help you with resizing pics, download a great freeware software called Irfanview. It will very easily allow you to resize pics simply. save original, and change name for email version.

I have used it for close on 10 years for all my images, both viewing and changing them when needed.

9. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

what does it do....im not the most computer savy person to be honest :/

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

You open the program, then using file menu open any picture , and from that you can easily resize it.

Usig the picture menu , it offers simple resizing tools , say 640x480

11. mixiebug

mixiebug New Member

Did you ever find out the name of them? Would love to know what they are. thanks!

12. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

the yellow flowers are partrige peas....the white ones i dont know yet....the partrige peas are kool cause the bees use them 2 ways....ive seen them harvesting pollen from the flowers...and ive watched them get nector from the bracts at the base of the leaves....i do have more pics of this....i just have to get them up on the id page...ive got others too....my internet isnt very good here though...but im trying.

13. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

The date of when the photo was taken would be helpful for ID purposes. Is the first plant a tree or shrub? I see what looks like a woody stem.
    I agree that the second picture is that of the native Partridge Pea.

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

they were taken Aug. 5th .... Its not a tree but more a small bush type of thing...woody and doesn't look like it dies full away every year...its limbs look to be opposite each other going up the main branch of the one I photographed ...the flowers are bright white and the petals stick strait out instead of opening into an asteroid like flower....dang I have pics of allows this...I'm having a problem getting more pics up... my fault not the forms...sighhhhhh

15. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

that's supposed to be '' Aster '' not ''asteroid'' somehow the T9 got turned on this morning on my phone....its been one of those mornings...lol

16. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

here is a close up of the flowers and a pic of one of the plant/tree...its about 8' tall and woody...silverish fuzz on the bark...what kinda bee is that ????

Attached Files:

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a 2kooldad snip:
    and ive watched them get nector from the bracts at the base of the leaves....i do have more pics of this.

tecumseh:
    some time referred to as extra nectar secretions... cotton at one time was reported to produce more nectar from these than the flowers.

how certain are you of the yellow flower? Here I think it is commonly called 'rattle bush' or 'seany bean'.

18. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i got it from a wild flower website...i'll see if i can further validate my sorce....it has those kinds of seed pods on it...we have others that do to an at least one other i know of is called rattlebox...but its diffrent because of its leaves...i have a pic of the node with a drop of nector in it...cotton does that too huh...do other plants do it also...since the late summer wildflower bloom is on an im getting lots of diffrent kinds on my property i've been taking lots of pics...getting them onto the form is hard but im getting them a little at a time...i have several more waiting...i'll get em up soon.

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

The site was the USDA-NRCS (United States Department of Agriculture-natural resorces concervation service)...ya get a pdf file an everything...i need to do some more looking there...good site.

20. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

I got it....actually a very nice lady on a plant website found it...i thought it was so similar to boneset/thoroughwart that i couldnt quit digging...i found boneset on her website an asked her if she knew what it could be...after she saw the pic on here she said it could be LATE FLOWERING BONESET/THOROUGHWART...(why they gotta put the ''late'' part on it an make things difficult for me :/ )..low an behold its a match and slightly diffrent that regular bonset/thoroughwart...the plants they have pictured on the web are all short 1-3ft and they give that as the max hight...but this is florida jack...an we do things right down here...if you can grow it we can grow it bigger an the one i took pics of was about 7-8ft tall which explaned why the plant had woody bark...its a perenial and lives more than 2 years...case closed...now to post it.