Help needed cleaning up a dead-out, disease prone?

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by SoMDBeekeeper, Jan 5, 2011.

1. SoMDBeekeeper

SoMDBeekeeper New Member

Hi All,

Any tips out there for cleaning up a dead-out? These particular bees starved :( so their heads are all stuck down in the cells. Can I use a shop vac to suck em all out? Is there an easier way?

Do I need to be concerned about disease on these combs now? There has been some warm weather here since they died so some of the bees have gotten a little "ripe" in there. :oops:

Is there a way to sterilize the comb after clean up and is that even necessary?

This is the first time I've had to deal with this situation but I really want to re-use this comb!

Thanks for any input,
    -=Craig

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Sorry to hear you lost a hive. I'm not the most experienced beekeeper here but I'll tell you what we do. I just grab the frames and hold them almost horizontally and give it a good whack against something hard (usually our picnic table) and out pop all the little dead bee bodies. If it needs brushed off I do that and then pop it into the freezer to go into a swarm trap in the spring or for a split. The bees will clean it up when they use it.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is just exactly what I do, a good whack and out they come. Just don't whack too hard or you will break the comb out of the frame.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Although a whack will help, it's unnecessary. Just be sure wax moths don't take over, and the bees will do the clean up.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

with the more recent information concerning nosema I would consider either setting the frames out into the sunshine or spraying with a bit of clorox + water.

I guess the question really should be 'why did the hive starve'?

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Tec, I had no idea that you could use clorox and water to help disinfect wax. I would imagine it would need to be pretty good and diluted....do you happen to know what kind of measurements are good? I'm thinking this could be very good info to have!

7. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

I personally don't reuse a dead out without cutting out all old wax.then soaking them in a 5 gal pail with 1 cup bleach for 15 min.if you look close to the support pin holes they will always be little black eggs in it.
    best not to put bleach on wax it will soften it or dissolve it.the cleaner you keep them frames the healthy the hive is/wash inside of hive body's with same mix as frame dip.
    Don

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

9. SoMDBeekeeper

SoMDBeekeeper New Member

How about popping them into a freezer for a few days? I have a giant chest freezer. Will that kill the little black eggs?

-=Craig

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mama beek.... I don't use clorox/water mix myself since I think sunshine and time accomplishes the same thing. some folks hit hard by CCD posted they did do a bit of contamination with clorox. almost nothing you can do will be as effective as irradiating equipment (which I think perhaps North Carolina has???).

ps... my clean out technique is pretty much like Omie described.

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

thanks Tec. We are big fans of sunshine disinfection around here too.