Help! Pesticides in hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Kaya Harper, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Kaya Harper

Kaya Harper New Member

Hello!
    I recently caught a swarm and put them in one of my Warre Hives. Back in June I lost the bees in this hive because Terminix sprayed pesticides very close to it. I had no idea they were coming as my neighbors didn't give me any warning! I had never lost a hive this way and as you can imagine I was devistated. Anyway I assumed that because it has been close to three months an residual pesticides would have dispersed and the hive would be save.
    But today when I looked at the hive I saw about 20 bees dead at the front and a few more acting drunk and crawling around. There where another 30 dead bees on the bottom board all with there tongues sticking out. These are the exact same symptoms I saw in the last bees.
    What should I do? Is there anyway for me to clean the hive? All the other bees in the hive are acting fine. Any advise is greatly appreciated. I'm new to the forum but have been keeping my own bees for about 2 years and have been working with them since I was younge.

2. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

Terminix is a termite company correct?
    The traditional pesticides used for termite prevention have been very stable in the environment long lived chemicals like chloridane and then chlorpyriphos. I am not sure what is used now, but I would assume if it was inside the hive in wax or pollen stores etc it could last a long time. Usually exposure to sun and rainfall will greatly accelerate the degradation of the chemical so you might want to move the bees onto other frames in other boxes and then leave the suspect ones out to weather for a few months.

3. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

first, I would have confronted my neighbors and told them of the hive being killed off for both emotional and financial claim and see what they say, then another call to the company that sprayed so close, as it is their responsibility o keep the poison where it should go,If I spend good money on something that someone else kills or destroys, they are liable for it..IMHO.. its up to you to take that action ..also with the call to terminex, I would find out exactly what they used and have them supply the data sheets on the chemicals and how to clean them up..I have a power line coming through my upstate property and when ever they spray for weeds, they send me all the info on what they are spraying and when .....pesticides need to be cleaned off they dont just dissipate and if they did just a few months is nothing, maybe years it would..