Help please!!!!! Im not sure what to do!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by beelicious, May 14, 2015.

1. beelicious

beelicious New Member

Hello everyone,

Im brand new to beekeeping and in desperate need of some help. i would GREATLY appreciate any comments

Alright. So i bought two nucs from a bee supplier in grand junction, colorado who seems like a nice guy with a good operation going on. I picked these bees up last saturday, may 9th, and took them home. I got home at 4pm and it was cold and somewhat rainy and starting to snow so i put the nucs in my garage (with the plugs in obviously) because i had no idea how much stores they had and the beekeeper i purchased them from told me that keeping them in my garage wouldn't hurt. From Saturday-monday the weather was way too cold for the bees to fly so i kept them in the garage that was about 30 degrees or so. on tuesday i put them out and pulled the plug.

I watched them tuesday and wednesday and they were bringing lots of pollen in and seemed to be doing great.

Today, thursday, the weather was warm enough and i transferred them over into their new hives.BUT......not one of the frames, from either hive had any honey, brood or pollen. nothing....just empty cells with some old capped drone cells that looked like they were pretty old because they were almost disintegrating, and not like a plump cap you see in pictures. and I'm talking just 5% of 5/10 frames. There was no queen cells either. however, there were many many bees. now, on one hive, the italian bees, i did see the queen. but on the other hive i didn't see her however there was a ton of bees so theres a good chance she was there.

Anyone have any ideas what in the world is going on and what i can do or should do??!

Thanks so much,
    ​Sky from colorado

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I can imagine quite a few of the experienced beeks on this forum going ..... "Bummer"

With a nuc, I would expect to have 2 frames of stores, 3 frames with brood in all stages, a queen and sufficient bees to cover most of the frames.

I would put a jar feeder of weak syrup above the inner cover hole and have a reduced entrance. Don't go into the hives .... "to see how they are getting on". Contact your local bee club to ask for a mentor to come and look at the hives.

You could have been sold a couple of pups. A mentor might be willing to "bang on the counter and raise a stink" if this has been the case.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

You need to feed, feed, feed. Put some syrup on them as Barbarian said and I would put a pollen patty on them too. I would also call the supplier and complain. He might give you a frame of honey and a frame of brood for each nuc which would help a lot. Good luck and keep us posted.

This is why one should inspect the nucs before taking them home.

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

ditto: feed, feed, feed.

and look for eggs.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The queen won't lay unless she thinks there is a flow, buy that 50 lb bag of sugar you are going to be feeding constantly for a few months, feed 1:1 syrup. Even a strong queen doesn't lay if no flow (and no flow happens around here a bunch)