HELP! Queen out of the hive.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by FranklyMyDear, Apr 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. FranklyMyDear

FranklyMyDear New Member

I'm a new beekeeper and I installed 3lbs of bees last Saturday. Today I find my queen outside of the hive on the ground with a handfull of bees swarming her. I got her back into the hive, but what could be happening here? I have a spotless clean hive, she and her new family came from a reputable source, they had food and water.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Did you release her or did they chew through the candy to release her?

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm wondering if there might have already been a queen in the package?
    By the way, I noticed this is your first post.
    Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn and have fun. :hi:

4. FranklyMyDear

FranklyMyDear New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

I retrieved the queen cage when I had the lid off, and they have chewed through to her. There were a couple dead bees in the cage. Is that normal?

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, that is normal. Like Perry said, there may have been two queens in the package. I would put her back in and check on them often. Call your supplier if she comes out again.

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

She called me and I gave the same advice, just gently pick her up and put her back.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Frankly my dear, you are formally welcomed to the beekeepers forum and have had your first taste of why we have to get advice from each other. Yours is a scary first experience. You'll remember it for many years as your introduction to the amazing world of beekeeping. As you gain more experience you'll come across more enigmas. Here's hoping you successfully overcome them all and see plenty of honey on the way.

8. FranklyMyDear

FranklyMyDear New Member

Thanks to everybody for the words of encouragement and help! I put her back in and they seem to be fine. Steady movement everyday.

9. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

One problem with packages is there is not a lot to convince the bees to stay in your nice tidy box you gave them. We all think it is a fine home but bees seem to have their own ideas about such things. no comb no brood no need to stick around. This is just one of the less obvious reasons to keep the queen caged for a day or two after installing the package. give them 24 hours to start makng a touch of comb. Just one more reason to stay put. Once the queen is free she will have a place to put the first eggs. this will go a long way toward keeping the bees at home.

10. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I've never installed a package but with swarms, I put a queen excluder between the bottom board and bottom deep to help or actually make her stay home. After a couple of weeks, I slide it out and let everything run it's course. I've been told doing so runs the risk of confining a virgin queen, (if it was the virgin queen who swarmed,) for a week or so but so far, 3 years, I've been able to keep each swarm I've taken home or helped a fellow beekeeper with. Maybe just lucky but it has worked for me.