Help-shb!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by JUDELT, Jan 9, 2013.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

since we are having spring weather; suited up and opened the 2 hives' which are teaming with small hive beetles! what can i do ? do the grease and sugar, honey patties work or using Honey Be Healthy? This is my frst year and i need some advice and help! thanks in advance.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the disposable beetle traps with olive oil. One or 2 per box, near the edge ones seem to do best.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Move the hives out of the shade.

4. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

the hives are in full sun and in Oct. i put the beelte/ oil trap in one hive; it has 1 dead beetle in it!

5. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

Fat Bee Man has a way to make traps on the very cheap and easy. Some folks in the area have tried it and had pretty decent success. I think the shortening is a good attractant for them.

Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_KDPp8H6PU

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got a couple of SBBs with the oil pans, but I haven't had to use them yet. I keep looking at and thinking about some traps from John Pluta:

http://georgiabees.blogspot.com/2009/09/small-hive-beetle-traps-pstpaid.html

Luckily, the SHB problem hasn't been bad in my hives yet. But I figure it's just a matter of time.

I'm trying a lot of stuff here and there. They may or may not work, but I figure with my experiments and trials and errors, maybe I'll learn a thing or two. :)

I hope you figure it out and have success, Judel. :)

7. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

i watched 'Fatbeemans video! hmm, interesting. i never would have thought to use this.i'll give it a try!

8. ablanton

ablanton New Member

[video=youtube;Q0mO-cYTZ58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0mO-cYTZ58[/video]

Anybody know what he uses for bait?

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I don't know if it's true or not, but one of the commenters below the video said he was using Fipronil. This is the first time I've heard of it. I am also assuming that he figures as long as it is in the trap, and the bees can't get to it, that it's all right. On the webpage, he states that he is using it to kill ants, and if several thousand SHB die, that's all right, too. :)

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

Have to wonder about that if he using the Fipronil, as it is a slow acting poison, designed for them to take it back to their nest(ants and roaches).... So a Beatle covered in it being chased by bees will potentially kill the bees trying to get rid of it ???

I do use a borax and pollen patty mix in my traps, with a similar thought, bees cannot get to it.

11. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

it's the stuff in coakroach bait, forgot the name!

12. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

13. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Boric acid isn't a bait, but it is used to kill cockroaches, generally without bait, just by sprinkling along the edge of a wall. Boric acid or borax mixed with jelly and put in drinking straws makes a great ant bait.
    Fipronil is also used to kill cockroaches, in baited traps such as Combat, and Combat gel.

There is an attractant in the traps but I have no idea what it is.

Since small hive beetles prefer forests and my nearest forest is half a mile away, I don't have TOO much trouble with them. I only have one sizeable tree (monster size but sizeable.)