Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something removed my entrance reducer last night. Haven't went any closer to see if there's any more damage cause we had to leave for Mother's Day stuff.

I'm gonna make spike boards to put around the hive... Any other ideas?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I made that post I think I have found the Solution and we will soon see who the culpret is!

Spikes for *****/Skunks

Here's the Spikes Installed...

Some Bees...

Soon we will know who is messing with the Bees...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Looks like you've come up with a solution.

I use rolled up chicken wire in front of the hive. It forces the critter to stand, exposing the underside to stings. I'm feeble enough that I would probably forget about the spikes and step on them. :grin:

Walt

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
A piece of carpet tack strip nailed on the landing pad would be easier and safer for other critters, including humans.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah, you got him. He can't deny it now. A friend of mine set up a similar camera trap to find out what was eating his bees. He said there would just be a double handful of bees parts piled up in front of his hive morning after morning with 3/4 of the body missing. He filmed a 'possum standing up at his hive, patting his hand around the entrance and then grabbing and eating / biting in half the bees one by one that came to investigate. He raised his hive and solved that problem.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I trap them to make for a permanent removal. I also have free range chickens so have to keep the predators under control. Tom

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Raccoon's eating bees. I would never have imagined that--skunks yeah, never would have thought about oppossums either.
Barry

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I've got racoons visiting our backyard in town here. They crawl all over the boxes in the backyard (empty) leaving footprints all over everything. I also noticed on one box that the bottom front edge of all the frames in that box have been cleaned down to bare foundation in a perfect semi-circle (about 4 " round), like something was reaching in and stripping the comb and all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts