Help! What are the girls doing?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ASTMedic, Jul 6, 2013.

1. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

So I checked the hive today and all was well. I walked by the hive to turn the water off in my garden and noticed a cluster of bees the size of my palm on the hive entrance. Its 9pm my time. Under closer inspection there are bees covering the entire entrance the full width of the hive. What is going on here? All I did today was an inspection and refill the feed.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My guess is bearding, because of hot weather. Jack

3. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

They haven't bearded yet even in 100+ degrees. Would they still do that even though its only 80 degrees out and dusk?

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yes mine will, are they getting crowded? The more stores they get and the stronger the hive is (or gets) they will beard on the outside to keep the hive cooler on the inside. Jack

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes, being that you saw this at 9 pm and at dusk, just remember that the field bees are also back at home base which could number in the thousands.

Too hot in the house you go sit on the porch.

When you did your inspection did they still have some empty space for stores?

6. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Ya they're getting stronger so I guess it could be bearding. Odd they didn't do it till I disturbed them today. I went back out and looked again. They seem to be going back into the hive so we'll see. I was worried they would stay out through the night but I guess I need to trust they know what they're doing.

7. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Sure looked like it. I didn't pull every frame since I wanted to disturb them as little as possible and my intention was to check the status of comb drawing on the undrawn frames. Still 3 frames to draw out and one side of one looks empty.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Do they have any kind of top ventilation?

9. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

At this point no but I have the full front open with a robbing screen on. I have a top feeder on so that is keeping the inner cover opening covered. I do have a frame feeder I think I may put into service next time to allow for better air flow. I was waiting till the second deep went on and was going to put it in the upper deep.

10. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Well looks like they were bearding. Went to shut the irrigation off and they're well up into the frames now. Sneaky little turkeys caught me off guard with this one being they've never bearded even in 25 degree warmer weather.

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep you really got to watch them sneaky gals.

12. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The bees will beard thru the entire night hanging out on the front of the hive and dissipate in the morning when the forager bees go back to fling and collecting nectar. Bearding is so natural that when the weather is warm and their is nectar coming in that if the bees are not bearding it could be a sign that the hive is weak or very little of a flow.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

here heat and humidity will both play a role in bearding.

crowding can also play a part and really the discerning characteristic is whether the same hive is still bearding at sunrise. constant bearding suggest crowding and without some intervention typically swarming.