Help! Where's the brood.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Dakine, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

I'm just about ready to attack the hive in my garage. Yeah it's been taking me awhile to get ready.
    Plan# 1 is to make a horizontal cut across the sheet of T-111 plywood siding. I pulled the nails a couple days ago and hopefully I'll be able to "peel"/ open the siding downfrom the cut somewhere above where the brood is. I want to be able to get enough brood to put in open frames in a box and the bee vac a lot of bees into the box and hopefully find the "big lady" and save her in the process creating a new hive.

After I have success doing that [hopefully] part I'll close the wall hive back up and hopefully they will make a new queen and rejuvenate the wall hive so I can do the same process sometime in the future. I don't have any hives yet and I'm just trying to get started doing bees again after a 20+ year lay off after moving from Kauai to Molokai.
    I can't buy package bees or queens from Molokai as there isn't any mites here yet.
    So far I haven't met any beekeepers here that selling queens or brood. Still looking.

I did start keeping in Kauai using the same process but it was in hollow stumps in the jungle.

Anyway the reason for this post is I need help in determining where the brood is behind the siding in the wall hive so I have some idea where to start cutting. The entrance to the hive is at the end of the rake handle about 3' up from the bottom of the siding
    Thanks in advance for the help.
    Aloha and mahalo

Dakine guy Hive entrance.jpg

2. markles

markles New Member

If you can determine where the internal batterns run you should be able to work out the area that the main hive is restricted to. From there, the brood is either fairly central to that area or, where you least expect it:wink:. Good luck.

3. Dakine

Dakine New Member

If you can determine where the internal batterns!
    I can where the studs are and the hive is. Studs are on 24" centers. Those grooves on the siding are 8" apart. If you search by knocking you can easily hear/feel where the hive is.
    Main thing is I need to know if the brood comb normally is above, below, alongside or all around the entrance. I don't know but could it be all the way to the top of the wall???

4. markles

markles New Member

If you take a glass and use it as a stethascope you will be able to tell where the most noise (and hence bees) is/are. Thats where your brood is. Good luck.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If the hive is not too deep anad the wall too thick, you MIGHT be able to feel the areas of the hive for the warmest location. If you can feel that one area is warmer than the others, you should be at the area where the brood is concentrated.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I'm with Ef on this one, use your hands, start at the bottom of the wall and slooowly move your hands upwards until you feel the warmest spot, will only be a few degrees warmer but you can tell. I would do it in the early morning when most everything outside has cooled off the most.