Help!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by RathelApiary, May 2, 2018.

1. RathelApiary

RathelApiary New Member

Hello Everyone — I need some help.

I have been beekeeping almost a year. I got my two hives and they have done great. They made it through the winter and were both very strong up until a couple of weeks ago.

Two weeks ago I moved across the state - from North Georgia to South Georgia. That is when things began to go south for me. The day before I moved one of my hives swarmed - luckily I watched it and I caught the swarm.

We went out the night before we moved and closed off the entrances and I got the bees here to South Georgia — everything seemed to be looking good. Well — about a week after we got settled in I did my first hive inspection and I found that neither of my hives had any eggs or brood in them... nothing.

I decided to wait a week (today) and check again and there is still no eggs or brood. In one of the boxes (the one I saw swarm) I found a queen. But there are no eggs or anything. The other hive I didn’t see a queen.

The population has dropped in both hives and I am concerned that I should probably purchase two queens, but I don’t know if that is the right thing to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you think I should purchase queens - where do you recommend me to get them?

Thank You!!

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

the move may have got them all screwed up, but bees are moved all over the country without issues. are you feeding them sugar water? the queen may still be young and needs time before she starts laying eggs, that happen to me when my hive swarmed , the mature queen either beat feet or got killed off and the queen i had left was too young to lay, but in a few weeks she started producing .wait a little longer and see, sugar water seems to get a jump start on the queen laying eggs..the hive with out a queen you can buy one or wait for the other queen to start laying and you take a frame of new eggs to the queenless hive and they will make a queen, its early in the season so if that doesnt work out you can buy a queen or 2 for the hives and still build up the hive before next winter..

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Be sure to offer sugar syrup, you should have plenty of local pollen right now.

4. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

I went through a similar thing last summer even without the move. A colony would swarm and neither the swarm or the original colony would ever get a laying queen again. In a couple cases I had confirmed the presence a queen in the hive, so I waited them out but never got any brood so I wound up combining the bees with a stronger hive.

One thing to watch out for is small hive beetle building up as your population drops. Especially if you have supers on etc. SHB may not be as big a problem here as last year (knock on wood!) but it is always a concern as colony strength drops and hive "real estate" stays constant.

I would search out a source of queens or even someone local that would swap you a frame of brood with eggs to put in your problem hives. If you have a remaining good hive, that could be a source for you. If nothing else you will have some young bees hatching to bolster your pops or they may make queens

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Good advice here! It is important to get the hive queen right before laying worker syndrome sets in. I had one lose a queen with swarm and go laying worker on me last year. I never could get them to accept a queen. Even dumping them out a mile away and requeening failed, I eventually just let them die off in the hive, when I quit adding brood it failed in a couple of weeks.