Helpful pics?

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by PerryBee, Jul 10, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I was just wondering if there are any beek pictures members on the forum might like to see? I find that there are times that I run across stuff and think, "This would make a great pic for the forum".
    If I had an idea of what folks might like to see or find useful I could try and oblige over the next while and see if I could compile some helpful stuff.
    Any step by step stuff? (Riverbee has done a couple of nice ones)

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

How about a courtesy bus driver in a field of blueberries?

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

this is an excellent idea perry, i think pictures are very helpful for all of us to see, especially the 'step by step stuff'. hope others can post ideas for you, my brain is not functioning well today:grin:

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks for thinking of us Perry :) I would post a few up as you run into them. Then based on the comments you get, you'll start getting a feel for what folks like.

A word of caution on copyright laws though, some websites don't like other people copy / pasting their work. If we have something on here and the owner asks me to take it down then I'll have to delete it. You could put a link to where you found it to give credit to the author (this usually helps)

Hope that helps!

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe the stipulation for posting on this thread should be that the pictures are all original shots, taken by the posters.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sorry Charles, I was thinking of original photos only, as Efmesch suggested.
    I was musing on if someone wanted to see a picture of how to (shave the beard off a drone), I would try and take pictures of that myself. I don't want to ever go near the copyrighted stuff, too much aggravation.
    I don't mind taking pics for this forum's use though (pretty evident) :lol:

7. Charles

Charles New Member

Then by all means bring them on! Sorry if I jumped on that copyright pedestal too quickly :) I've gotten a cease and desist before from a big company at it's not fun :rules:

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Acetic acid treatment/Sample post

If you suspect nosema ceranae spores in your dead outs you may want to sterilize your boxes by acetic acid treatment.
    Stack boxes of deadouts max to five deeps. On the top of the stack place a non metalic dish with 80% acetic acid, ratio is 120ml or 4oz/10 frame deep. Acetic acid fumes are heavier than air, so make sure there is no gap where those fumes may escape.
    Picture 1 Acetic Acid 2 008.jpg

You may use painters tape to close joints between boxes. Place empty box on the top, close all gaps and leave it for a week.
    Picture 2
    Acetic Acid 3 010.jpg After one week let boxes air for a couple of days before giving them to bees. Acetic acid is very corosive,make sure you wear mask and gloves, and keep it away from metal.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Marbees = Exactly! :thumbsup:

10. Marbees

Marbees Member

Glad I understood your idea, which is BTW a great one.:thumbsup: Now this sounds so gretzky:lol:

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I just met a bee keeper an hour north of me. He has put together several youtube video on how to make all your own wooden ware...would this be anything you might want here? Tom

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Tom.
    I was thinking more of a "request" kinda thing. If there were folks that would like to see something, we could perhaps go out and actually show it.
    If your beekeep friend has a link that would be cool though.

13. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

I just do a search in google and click the images tab. End up with more pix than I know what to do with. For action shots, like robbing, youtube is the place to go. I think all pix are helpful anywhere they're posted, as they relate to the problem. Just wish I could work bees and take pix at the same time. Too scared to take off the leather gloves and too clumsy to work a camera with them on.

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep I use Google Images all the time.....

But i do like Perry's idea too...

Charles , can we attach Powerpoint presentations somewhere, maybe as PDF's , as I have done a few already for our club and Scouts, ??

15. Charles

Charles New Member

You can attach PDF up to 4 meg. Powerpoints are Microsoft so we can't do that...

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've removed gloves to take pictures (actually, I've been going gloveless a fair amount lately). The only real problem, is I always seem to get propolis on the camera. It's one of those tiny things and it is hard as the dickens to get clean. :smile:

17. Zulu

Zulu Member

Great , will convert my ppts to PDF.

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey Charles, can he save it as an Open Office presentation and post it that way? It isn't Microsoft anymore.

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

zulu:
    "will convert my ppts to PDF"

zulu, i had a ppt slide show as well, and wound up just using windows movie maker to make a short video with no sound. turned out nice and still looks like a slide show, and can embed here.

perry~
    "I've removed gloves to take pictures (actually, I've been going gloveless a fair amount lately). The only real problem, is I always seem to get propolis on the camera. It's one of those tiny things and it is hard as the dickens to get clean."

for my birthday i received a nice little digital camera just for bee work. :grin:

20. Charles

Charles New Member

There isn't a way that I know of, Openoffice has a flash export but those types of files are very insecure. PDF or youtube would be the best way...