Here is another one:

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

In another of my hives (again - a nuc install as I described in 'Coincidence') I checked a few days ago and it had eggs - so the queen was released and accepted, right?

I moved to the next frame and found the queen at the bottom of it - being balled with bees trying to sting her! I smoked the ball and it dispersed. The queen moved up the frame alone, apparently no worse for wear. I closed up the hive quickly and then left it alone.

Has anyone seen this before? Why would they presumably accept her and give her time (at least a few days) to lay eggs - then ball her and try to kill her? There were no supersedure cells in the hive and no other indications that they were trying to requeen themselves.

Mike

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OR, They were covering her to protect her from the intruder. Although I have never seen that happen, I have read it from others.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I agree with what iddee sayed but got to ask how long has the longest length been of not getting in the hive was there ever a more than 2 week period. there may have been a supercedure cell you missed if you went more than 2 weeks

4. Tyro

Tyro Member

Well - it hadn't been that long since I had been in the hive previously (maybe a week), but it is certainly possible that I could have missed a ss cell.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Tyro writes:
    I checked a few days ago and it had eggs - so the queen was released and accepted, right?

tecumseh:
    eggs are not the same (to the bees) as is larvae. one need to be attended to and the other not. with no larvae the brood bees have nothing to do so they mob the queen (for harm or protection is anyone's guess). I can say that the guard bees here will ball yellow jackets and this can kill the yellow jackets by over heating. we do not know what the real intentions of the bees balling a queen really are about.

from newly started cell to laying queen requires quite a bit more time than 2 weeks. so in regards to time 4 weeks 'maybe' but 2 weeks definitely no.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

But, Tec, I think the Rat is saying that 2 weeks is long enough for a q-cell to be made, emerged, and never be seen by the beek. Not for her to be laying eggs.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

exactly that is what i was getting at thanks for clarifying that