Here's another.....

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tyro, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Tyro

Tyro Member

I have a hive that has two queens in it. The hive has been this way for at least a week (checked last week - 2 queens; checked this week - same situation).

The hive still has the queen I installed some 2-3 months ago. She walks around the comb with attendants as all is normal. A couple of frames over is the other queen. She is much larger and much fatter than the original queen. She is also much lighter in color. She has attendants and walks around the frame.

I never did see any queen cells in this hive (but anyone who has been keeping bees for anytime learns that they are easily missed). Do they normally co-exist for this long? We are on a pretty good alfalfa/sunflower flow right now.

Has anybody had this happen before? How long might this go on? Should I pull one queen, start a nuc, etc?

Mike

2. Tyro

Tyro Member

August 2 - still 2 queens. Crazy.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It sounds like you have a mother/ daughter in there.
    It is surprisingly not all that uncommon.
    For some reason the bees have raised a successor and decided not to dispatch the original queen. I have found this on a few occasions myself.
    We often don't realize it because, (as Riverrat has pointed out) once we find the queen we tend not to look for another.
    The original will just disappear one day, or should you wish, you can start a nuc and keep her as a back up for a rainy day.

4. Tyro

Tyro Member

How long do you suppose they go on like this?

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It could go on for a few weeks. The older of the two will eventually disappear. (unless you decide to take advantage of the situation) :wink:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Cool, does that mean more eggs per day or will only one lay?

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

both are likely laying. my guess is the smaller one is not laying so much and the larger queen is doing most of the heavy lifting. I would also guess come the first cool snap one of the queens will likely end up on the ground.

two queens in a hive I suspect is much more common than folks think. I can recall the first time (some 30 years ago) I directly noticed two queens in one hive and on adjacent frames. I recall I had to ask an older bee keeper in the crew what was that (and it was from him I formed the conclusion that such things are much more common that folks tend to think)? oddly enough the next hive on the same pallet also had two queens. now what are the chances of that happening?

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Tec, I hope I will be healthy enough to keep bees 30 years from now. I may have to have all shallow hives to lift them, ha! Or some strong grandchildren...

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I hope your are too blueblood.

having some purpose (no matter how small) does seem to help keep the mind and body going.

10. Tyro

Tyro Member

tec-

Interesting that you noticed them on adjacent frames - I have checked this hive probably 3 times over the past 10 days or so; the queens are always on adjacent frames. Twice in the bottom box, once in the top. They seem to be moving together, but keeping space between each other.

Mike

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

I just learned something else I didn't know. Thank you all for the posts:thumbsup:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a tyro snip..
    They seem to be moving together, but keeping space between each other.

tecumseh:
    that is the impression of the one's I noticed also.

13. Tyro

Tyro Member

Still 2 queens. I'd say this is about three weeks or so know (20 days since I first noted it). I am fascinated by this. They are still a frame apart and keeping space between one another.