Heres what were doing, Right or Wrong?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, May 27, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. We have 3 swarms and 1 cutout. Was not feeding them until I found this forum. Have learned a lot from you guys/gals.

So, I am now feeding 1:1 sugar syrup inside each hive through top feeders. Going to keep feeding until there
    are 2 deep brood boxes with close to 10 frames drawn out in both boxes. Then remove feeders and add
    the queen excluder and the first of 3 medium supers.

Any adjusting that I need to do to this plan? I do not know how to tell if the necture is flowing in our area yet.
    Trying to learn how to tell, so, for now I will just keep feeding.

I am putting quart mason jars on top of hives turned upside down feeding through the hole in the inner cover. They are emptying the quart jars daily. Is this pretty normal. A quart per day?

Thanks much.

2. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I always think I'm starting to get the hang of it...and then I do a double split and STILL have a swarm and I'm all "wait, what?" and I learn a few more bits I never knew.

That's one thing I love about keeping, those ladies keep me on my toes.

What you're doing sounds good to me.

I typically find my ladies stop taking sugar when they're done with it, they prefer the natural stuff. On new installs they seem to take the sugar a lot longer, and I think that's because they're having to build out that comb. I think you might see them stop taking the sugar before you've got 20 drawn frames, if there's plenty blooming in your area. I've had captured swarms and new installs go into winter with a couple non-drawn frames or only partially drawn at the very edges of my boxes, and they did fine. I'd only worry if I only had 5-6 drawn frames per box come winter.

One thing you can do to find out nectar flow is try to contact keepers in your area. Blooming can be effected by everything ever in nature and the weather, so it's not a set time, but someone who's been in the same area a while would have at least a general idea or tell you what to look for.

Also, watch your bees. You'll learn to tell real fast when they've run into something blooming heavily, nearly every lady hitting the landing pad will be carrying a load of pollen. I've also noticed that you can see a ton of waggle dancing some inspections, and not so much other inspections, and I've been running on the theory that more waggle dancing = more awesome batches of nectar to find. I could just be making that up though.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Item 1.. I would feed until one deep is full, then put them on their own.

Item 2.. Add your first super of foundation and let them start drawing it before adding the excluder. Otherwise, they may think the excluder is the ceiling and never pass it.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

EXACTLY what Iddee said.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Double ditto. Only use excluders if you have drawn comb above them, they will not go through one to bare foundation. :thumbsup:

6. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

*headdesk*

SO THAT EXPLAINS IT! For my first two years of keeping, I couldn't get honey in a honey super no matter what, I couldn't get the bees to go near it and draw it out. I sprayed it every day with sugar syrup, I replaced all the foundations with fresh wax comb foundation. I took it all out and just put comb honey starter strips...I did everything I could read about or ask keepers about and no one could figure out why the heck my ladies would not draw onto a super.

And no one ever mentioned "don't put empties above an excluder, just put it on if they start laying there."

RAWR! I could have so much honey in those first two years!