HEY RAST.....MY BEES ARE ON THE GOLDEN ROD :)

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by 2kooldad, Oct 22, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i thought it would never happen.....its the other kind of golden rod.....the ones that have a top kinda like corn gets that they must like....there is four diffrent kinds of golden rod....2 that most people see and if what they say is true an bees only like one kind then this one must be it....i got some phone picks but ima get better ones today...they are close to my house...maybe 1/4 mile...im sure there must be more i cant....ima get seeds an johnny apple seed my property with some....lol :)

2. rast

rast New Member

Good for you!
    I checked some goldenrod today and lots of wasps, but nary a honeybee. Several hives had a lot of orientation flights going on today.

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

why are they doing that ??? Maybe other things around here are getting scarce...i hope not...but with 3 differant kinds of pollen comming is i expect theres alot of little patches of flowers in bloom....makes sence right ???

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

orientation flights are done by either new bees that haven't left the hive prior, or the hive was moved and they are all trying to re-orient themselves to where the new location is.

5. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol....i had it in my head they were doing it for an odd reason....not the normal reasons....you didnt say you moved them so the brood is still hatching....i saw eggs all the way to the bottom of one frame an the other side was all capped brood....thats my favorite queen too...i popped her right out of the queen cell onto the top of the frames an away she went right down inside an has been building that colony ever since...what a gal :)