Hey riverbee, rare book?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Mar 3, 2013.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wow perry, what a sweet find...if i stumbled across that book, i would buy it for 15$.......the only copies i have seen are in paperback reprints. as far as rare.....
    i am not a book expert, there are many different standards in defining what constitutes 'rare' and collectible. the book has also been digitized, and some of these are held in universities across the usa. albert john cook was a professor of entomology and zoology in michigan, and has a number of books to his credit. here is a link to that specific edition, that has been digitized by cornell university, it is pretty cool, the text, images and drawings. parts of the book from the previous owner have been underlined. the book has some great info in it.

this is the listing, with a link to the digitized copy:

23 Titles by Cook, Albert John, (1842 - 1916)
    go to listing #12, this is the edition you found

or
    The Beekeepers Guide
    if you get a blank page, try again later or reload the page. (not sure why this is happening?) ****just figured this out, the website is currently offline for scheduled maintenance and upgrades, so check back later

just for fun....an excerpt about women as beekeepers...:lol:
    "Apiculture may also bring succor to those whom society has not been over-ready to favor our women. Widowed mothers, dependent girls, the weak and the feeble, all may find a blessing in the easy, pleasant and profitable labors of the apiary. Of course, women who lack vigor and health can care for but very few colonies, and must have sufficient strength to bend over and left the small-sized fromes of comb when loaded with honey, and to carry empty hives. With the proper thought and management, full colonies need never be lifted, nor work done in the hot sunshine. Yet right here let me add, and emphasize the truth, that only those who will let energetic thought and skillful plan, and above all promptitude and persistence, make up for physical weakness, should enlist as apiarists. Usually a stronger body and improved health, the result of pure air, sunshine and exercise, will make each succesive day's labor more easy, and will permit a corresponding growth in the size of the apiary for each successive season."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013