Hey riverbee

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Sep 13, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey B.
    I couldn't post any pics in a pm to you (not sure why) so here they are in this thread. Sorry to post this way. :???:

Extractor 001.jpg Extractor 002.jpg

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry don't apologize, how many deep frames can you spin? and do you have to change anything out to spin deep frames? looks to me that you don't? it accomodates both deep and medium frames without any hardware change for the deep frames?

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

okay wait, now we need to go back to chat?!.........:lol:

CORRECTION, YOU COULD USE 4 INSERTS AND 4 CAPPINGS BAGS IN THAT BABY!!!!!.....:lol:

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

alright took a few more minutes to look at your extractor, you would need 3 of the inserts and 3 cappings bags.......:grin:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks B. I was sitting in chat waiting for a response. :rolling:
    Guess I shouldn't use a thread to send messages. Iddee will be after me I bet! :wink: :lol:

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:lol:........mister river is yammerin at me........:lol:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

for those of you who have no clue what we are talking about, i will let perry explain......perry......YOU HAVE THE FLOOR........:lol: ......er.....thread!

ps, might help others with questions about spinning honey out of the cappings.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry, like everyone else you will wait awhile for the honey to drain from the cappings, so the cappings bags that you can insert into your radial extractor work extremely well and the cappings will have little honey left in them, maybe a residue......

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

OK.
    I'm too cheap to spend $1500 on a cappings spinner, so I'm trying to figure out what to do with all the cappings I'm gonna have as I start extracting. Riverbee has been advising me on the use of cappings bags that you employ with your extractor, but apparently I will need some inserts for these bags.
    There, clear as mud? :rolling:
    Tried to do this by pm but I couldn't post pictures there. :???:

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:lol:.......works for me perry!

alrighty then riverbee needs to post some links and pix so others can benefit, and ps perry, i am too cheap to spend 1500 on a cappings spinner, and these bags and inserts work great....
    thanks perry, now i better get to work on this........you are gonna be in the penalty box with jack for making me do all this hard work.......:lol:......:rotfl:

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

What hard work? I put my cappings in a telescoping hive lid turned up side down, and put it on the picnic table in the back yard (400 ft. from the hives). I go out the next mourning and stir them up so they can clean the bottoms, the next day i put them in a 5 gal. bucket and wait till the cold winter days to melt them into bars.:thumbsup: My cost for drying cappings? maybe $5.00 for the home made telescoping lid. :lol: Jack

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jack.
    You run around 70 colonies don't you? It seems to me you would have a fairly large pile of cappings. I do put out wet supers to be cleaned up, but have always found that when I put out cappings, there always ends up being a lot of dead bees when it's done. Also, there is still a lot of honey in there. I have a 4 gallon bucket that catches all the drippings that fall out of my uncappingings, and it was half full yesterday.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I'm too cheap to spend $1500 on a cappings spinner

tecumseh...
    well it doesn't sound so much like a cheap solution but more like a practical economic determined choice to me..... or how much extra honey would you need to produce to pay for a nice stainless steel capping spinner that you then only use a few days a year?

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Ya, ya, that's it. :thumbsup:
    tecumseh, you just crack me up! :rolling:
    Why do I have the sense that you could tell somebody to take a flying leap into a pile of c--p. and have them leaving with a smile on their face feeling good about the compliment they just received! :mrgreen:

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey Perry,i have one of the kelly capping tubs (stainless steel), it has a strainer tray on top where i cut the cappings off and they fall to a strainer in the bottom where they drain. After each decapping we carry it out on the glassed end porch and let it set for a day, then drain the honey, i have gotten as much as 2 to 3 gal. from the cappings (the porch can get into the 90's F with the windows closed.:thumbsup:) When i put the cappings out to the bees, they are dry feeling but still have some honey on them, yes there are a few dead bees around the picnic table after the feeding frenzy, most of them are older bees and some of them are the gluttons that tunnel under the cappings:roll:. I see very little fighting from the black cloud of bees that have come in for a free meal.:lol: So far i think i have five 5 gal. buckets of cappings to melt down this winter,i have had a good honey year and i'm going today to take off the last of the honey supers.So far we have extracted between 35 to 40 five gal. buckets of honey plus seven supers of comb honey, which will probably be sold the last weekend of this month at the Fair Grove Craft festival. Jack

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I should see if I can find a stainless mesh that I could put across my uncapping tray about 8 inches off the bottom. That way the cappings could drain more easily. Good idea Jack, I'm on the prowl now! :thumbsup:

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry, this is what i did before i discovered the cappings bags and the inserts.......all i own now is an uncapping tab, it's a pretty nice one, with a grid to drain cappings into the bottom. there's a filter i can place in it to strain the cappings as they drain. heat helps....put the lid on it and set it under halogen lights and/or a hot room, and like jack said, amazing how much honey drips out of these cappings. when i started uncapping 25 to 30 supers, the cappings would build up in this tub to the point that it would take forever to drain, and also make it difficult to uncap more, the tub was getting too full. i almost purchased another one, then discovered and purchased the cappings bags, and the inserts for my extractor. best money i ever spent close to a spinner. i uncap into the tub, when the cappings build up, i put them in the bags to spin out in the extractor, there is no wasted time or waiting, just keep moving, whether i am uncapping frames, spinning frames or spinning the cappings out. it gets done and i am not waiting, and the honey in the cappings gets spun out. i remove the cappings bag and place the dry cappings into a 2 gallon ziploc and throw them in the freezer til i can set them in my solar wax melter.

if you can rig up something in your setup to set the cappings on and spread and put some heat on top, this will speed up the draining process. if you decide to try the cappings bags with the inserts, you can't go wrong, i have been using them for about 8 yrs now, i think? they work. a little trick to them, but they work. i was amazed.

good luck my friend!

for those that might be interested in trying these (you won't regret it) not a gimmick:

cappings bag

extractor inserts

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I'm almost sold on these B. The only trouble is my brain is having difficulty figuring out how those inserts work? :???:

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Well got back home at 6:30pm, took off 8 med. supers of honey and could have taken off 7 more, 8 to 10 at one time is all i want to extract at one time. I went through 25 hives 3 of my outyards up there, still 3 more outyards to go up there. The ones i worked are heavy and ready for winter, the last yard i worked (14 hives) is the new 35 acres that i started in July this year. Most are 2 deeps with a med. on top and i could hardly budge them they was so heavy,:thumbsup: one thing i notice was the comb and cappings was a bright yellow color? and the migratory lids that i use, the frames was glued to the lid:shock:, remind me of the caucasian breed of bees i had years ago.:roll: Anyone have any idea what kind of plant they worked to get that bright yellow look, it wasn't golden rod or i would have smelled it? Jack