Hey there fellow Peeps..I mean Beeks!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Mar 30, 2013.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

My one time a year I treat myself to those yellow Peeps -:grin: I have been following you guys all winter and sounds like most did well over the winter with their bees. I still have my 6 hives, and took a peek today and it looks like they are starting to build up pretty good. I have 4 queens coming next month to do some splits. Here in northern Arkansas - spring has been LATE - and it's suppose to be cool again next week so my bees are slow about building up - it was a month early last year - and now a month late this year.

When I get ready to do my splits, think I can wait and do any reversing at that time as well?

I checked on our bee tree and sad to say, it looks like the bees didn't make it or are gone. We had such a dry, hot summer last year and that may have did them in. We have had that bee tree for many years. :sad: I sure hope we don't have another dry year like that one.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can wait to reverse. In fact. I don't reverse, so it is a choice, not a necessity.

Don't worry about the tree. A swarm will most likely replace them soon.

3. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

glad to hear reversing isn't a necessity. thanks.

4. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

When the bees move up in the hive - don't you need to reverse to get them to go back down, or will they go down on their own? I have always reversed - guess because the "books" told me to do it to help on swarming. That's usually when I do a good bottom screen cleaning, etc. Thank goodness it's just once a season - bees sometimes aren't too crazy about it for sure!

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It could be they were done in by Varroa, in which case, you're better off--not having an infestation source in the neighborhood.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

mr riverbee loves them peeps......yuk!!!:grin:

like iddee, i don't reverse my hives unless the queen can't figure out how to move down.....the bees move down, and move up again.