Hey, you Southern Folks!

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Hobie, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Sounds like you are getting slammed with some genuine Northern weather, and I feel for you. How are you holding up? Hope it isn't causing you (or your bees) too much grief.

Just starting to snow up here, but it isn't supposed to let up for 2-3 days.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Not too bad here, most all roads are clear. I always put the scraper blade on and clear the driveway and about a 1/2 mile of road so I can get around. The power did not go out so that is a blessing in itself since we have electric heat and did not have to break out the kerosene heater.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

After living in Illinois for 10 years, I don't have any winter weather here. Only an inch of ice today, no power outage.

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Having lived in MO until I was 12 you would think that it wouldn't bother me but, I am tired of all the cold white stuff. (Although it is easier to walk the dog at night) I am ready for warmer weather. I'm already getting a little cabin fever. Anxious to walk outside without a coat, plant stuff, pull up a frame of brood and unexpectedly see Mrs. Queen strolling across the middle of the frame, smell fresh honey, pick wildflowers, sit in green grass, almost anything besides wear two layers of clothes and worry about the critters being warm enough.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

This isn't anything like the mid-Missouri winters that our family had all the way up until 6 years ago, but I'm with BB.... I NEED to sit out on the grass and feel warm sunshine, hear birds chirp and bees buzz, pull weeds in the garden and STOP being so cold!

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It feels like the north pole (i think :confused: ) here in SW.Mo. I learned years ago to just keep the ice cut and plenty of feed out for the livestock (takes twice as long in freezing weather) and keep in mind that this will pass somewhere between 6 to8 weeks,and think about what needs to be done when warm weather gets here :thumbsup: .The bad thing is that a week of freezing weather can seem like a year long :mrgreen: . -0 here, and i've got a stock tank to thaw out. :wave: Jack

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Hmmm. Two layers is what I've been wearing INDOORS.

G3 - electric heat isn't much more of a disadvantage than other utilities. I have natural gas, but with all the electric fans and controls on the darn boiler, if the electric goes out, I lose heat anyway. No more running furnaces by convection any more. Wish my chimneys were sound so I could put in a wood burner. Had about 5 big trees fall in the ravine this year, and there they sit.

Most of the snow (so far) went east and west of us. Shovelled about 6" this morning, and need to head out again shortly to clear a few more inches. Who needs a gym?!

8. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We have a fire place insert that heats most of the house and #something fuel oil for whenever we need it. Both of them require electricity to blow the heat! But, when the electricity goes out we can just open the doors to the insert and stay in the front room and it stays comfortable. Last time the electricity went out we had a ton of fun just hanging out in the living room, cooking in the dutch ovens, and playing board games! I didn't even get a chance to use my treadle sewing machine in an authentic situation!

Mama keeps it as close to 80 in the house as she can so, two layers is too much unless daddy is taking care of the heat. :D

9. XLB

XLB New Member

Idk, i kinda liked today's winter weather. The T.V. said that it was supposed to snow today, but when I got up this morning it must have all melted or something and it stayed in the mid 40s and 50s all day... MY kind of winter weather! :D :lol:

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It's been a rough two weeks feeding livestock and keeping the stock tanks thawed. -10 deg. last night and the high was 27 F today,supposed to be in the fifties this weekend and mid sixties all next week. :thumbsup: We heat with propane and have a wood insert in the basement fireplace for backup. You have to be prepared for the worst here in SW Mo. Jack

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Y'all need to get out on the road and head North. Spend some time up here in NY or Downeast Maine.

I remember winter time in Williamsburg, Va and much prefer winter in Northern NY. Winter in VA was depressing, what w/ the cold rain or snow that melted during the day and froze so no one could go anywhere for a day or two.

Love where you are, cause you ain't gonna be anywhere else. :)

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

sqkcrk, we may be one of the few families who actually look forward to getting stuck at home together! We love it. I just hate being cold. Thankfully winter here is MUCH milder than what our family was used to back home!

13. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

There's that term I have seen several times. "Downeast Maine", what does that mean? Is that a geographical area?
    I have a great recipe for "Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread" and I always wondered what that meant.