Hi fellow honey lovers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bigluelok, Dec 7, 2012.

1. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

Hi every name is luis,
    I am very new to this i have been reading blogs and forum posts regarding bee keeping and would really like to start really soon.
    I am looking to start a couple hives. I am looking to make a couple of these and will most likely by a bees locally from a local keeper if I can find one. my only concern is that i have a very nosy dog and dont want him getting stung.

any one have nosy dogs and bees around here? what do you do to keep the dog away from the bees?

any San Gabriel Valley bee keepers on this forum.

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

I have a young rock terrie and she was real nosie with the bees until she got stung and now she stays away from them and I believe your dog will too. Oh and welcome to the froum you can learn a lot here, know I did.

kebee

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Dogs are smart and bees are great teachers. It only takes one lesson and the dog graduates. :D

4. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

well then looks to me like i am going to move forward with this project then :grin: i am so excited i can not wait.

5. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Luis! We have had dogs nearly as long as we have bees. Just do not chain the dog where it cannot get away in an incident.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum :hi:

Lots of good friendly folks here, ask all kinds of questions.

If you are going to build a top bar hive from a barrel, you will need to buy package bees and a queen, or catch a swarm. If you buy an established colony or nuc the frames will not be a direct fit (If they are Lang type hives).

Dogs learn quick where NOT to stick their noses.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

First Welcome to the forum. As mentioned dogs learn quickly, the in-laws had a dog that didn't like the bees but tolerated them and respected them or at least the stinging end, but he would still nip at them with his teeth and kill them and spit them out. He was quick and accurate and didn't get stung very often.
    Looked at the instructions for building the barrel top bar hive and all the steps involved it is not a simple project the time noise and blades to cut the barrel in half and to drill the needed holes and then switch to the table saw to build the frames stand roof. It might be easier and quicker to build the hole top bar hive out of wood. there was a thread a few weeks back with plans for easy to make top bar hives on this forum.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome to THE beekeepingforum.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello from up here as well. :wave:

11. bigluelok

bigluelok New Member

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Apisbees I will look into a easier hive to start. is this the top bar you were talking about? http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm#excluder Thanks for the info everyone.

12. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Yes it doesn't get much simpler than that.
    I am kind of partial to the Kenya top bar hive cause some old time beekeeping mentors of mine were in Kenya when they helped move the indigenouspeople away from being honey hunters to beekeepers and honey gathers. They wanted a hive that was manageable (movable frames) easy to build in a lot of areas there was no power to run saws and extractors. Standard size lumber could be percussed, the pieces for the top bar hive could be cut to length with a hand saw and nailed together. The people did not have a lot of money to spend on equipment so letting the bees draw the comb and harvesting using the crush and strain method, very little processing equipment was needed
    Here is a link to the page.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

14. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member