Hi from Hot Hot Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jim314, Aug 6, 2011.

1. jim314

jim314 New Member

Just joined yesterday but have been lurking here for quite awhile. I've visited 3 different beekeeping forums and this one has become my favorite because of the friendly interaction I've seen here :thumbsup:

I am new this year to beekeeping. I've thought about doing it for several years and decided I'd better start or I would be too old before long. I have 2 hives that were started from packages at the end of April and one swarm I caught in May. The swarm hive is the only one that hasn't had problems so far. The other two lost their queens early on. I requeened one of them, but that didn't last long either. Both hives produced their own queens and that seemed to have solved the problems. I put my first super on today on one of the hives. Somehow the bees are finding nectar somewhere in this heat and drought because they have slowed way down on sugar syrup. Also, I've given up any hope of getting even a small amount of honey this year, it's just too hot and dry.

I just got back in the house from putting some shade over the hives. They sit in the full sun and I'm sure were baking. It's 104 right now and will get up to 108 later this afternoon, so I hope they appreciate the shade.

Enough for now,
    Jim

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Jim:
    Welcome to the forum. Like you, I'm a first year beek and learn lots here, as well as have lots of fun.
    You're right, we're a friendly bunch, and the old-timers are very willing to answer the questions that we newbees post. Don't be afraid to ask, the only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask.
    Again, welcome.
    Rodger

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum glad to have ya here :thumbsup:

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome Jim, it's hot here too, put not like you've got. Hope ends soon fore you Texan's. Jack

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome to the forum.

This is my 3rd year and I'll be happy to help get the bees through this summer and next winter. :beg:

Hope you enjoy it here; there's a few of us Texans hanging around. I'm near Waco (short for "Way Cool")

Walt

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

A warm welcome to you Jim. When the weather cools you should find the friends here just as warm as ever.
    You seem to have made a nice start -overcoming thebeginner's problems nicely.
    Try to find out what flowers you can look forward to in your locale from other beeks. Maybe you'll be able to stop feeding soon.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello Jim and welcome to the forum :wave:

Hope you get a little relief from the heat, yesterday was nice for us only made it to about 80, cloudy all day but was very well welcome.

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Thanks for the welcomes everyone :)

9. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Howdy from Aggie land.

11. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Welcome aboard Jim,good to have you here on the forum!!! :wave: