Hi from Hudson Valley New York...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Omie, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Omie

Omie New Member

Just saying hi, new here.

Don't have my bees yet, but am learning and planning for my first two hives this Spring.
    I've visited a couple of other beekeepers' yards and got to help smoke, open, and inspect two hives a few days ago. I can't wait! :)

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

welcome aboard Omie, spring is not that far off and will be here before we know it. Stick around there are some very knowledgable people on this site so just ask away if you have any questions.

G3

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Welcome to the forum.

I must ask....is that you in your avatar pic?

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Omie,
    I think that you are betwen two really good beekeeping clubs. Saratoga Springs is probably a bit of a hike for you. But if you can ever get up there the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association is a really good group. They have a good spring seminar that you should try to get to. It's usually in Albany. I forget when exactly. SABA probably has a website. Look 'em up and get a newsletter.

There is one to your south too. But I don't know much about them.

If you would go to eshpa.org and look up clubs or associations, the Empire State Honey Producers Association has a list of most of the local beekeeping clubs. ESHPA has it's winter mtng the first friday and saturday in November, in Syracuse. A bunch of good speakers and lots of friendly beekeepers who would just love to meet a newbee that hasn't heard all of the stories yet.

Welcome to beekeepingforums. You are about to get into an adventerous relation w/ the insect world. Enjoy.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Hey thanks for the warm welcome you guys! :wave:

So far I've been able to talk with 3 different guys right in my area who keep bees- they have helped me a lot so far with answering my questions, showing me their bees and equipment, and giving me contacts and recommendations. I wish I didn't have to wait til Spring...but I know it will be here before I know it.
    This week we are laying some level stone/gravel out for the two hive area so grass and weeds won't grow high right around the hives and I'll have a nice little space to walk around them.

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Get a large rubber matting. No weeds and no weedeaters! :thumbsup:

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I'm glad to hear that you have some actual live humans to mentor you. That's one of the things that I really think that a new beekeeper needs. We here in the virtual world can help only so much. It's good to have someone that you can show something to and get instant advice and discuss things w/ in real time.

:) But we'll be glad to verify or refute any advice they give you. :)

Beekeeping can be a lot like gardening. What works for me may not work for you. And what works in my area may not work where you live. Enjoy.