Hi from Kentucky

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by extrasharp, Mar 11, 2013.

1. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

I took my 2nd beekeepers class Saturday and bought my hive and have ordered my Nuc. Excited but scared, not of getting stung but of doing something to hurt the bees. I'll buy my second hive soon in case I'm lucky.

Have one of my bee books on my desk and the bee supplier will have a class for us before we get the bees. Reading everything I can find. Thanks for being here.

2. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Welcome-this is a great forum for beginners. Lots of information and shared wisdom when you have questions. We've all made mistakes but a successful beek learns from his mistakes and the ones you'll often read about on here . Keep reading and learning and you'll gain confidence as you learn about your bees and before you know it you'll be like most of us-addicted to our bees and this forum.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! Lots of great info here and even better people! :D

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

extrasharp,
    welcome!!! [​IMG]
    btw bees are very forgiving, as long as you read their 'rule book' and you don't squash them........:lol:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome.

Face the facts. You will kill bees. Sometimes 1 or 2. Sometimes a whole hive. They are insects. They have a short life. All we can do is "our best" and then pick up and go again. Read, enjoy, and in the end, you will have live bees and honey.

6. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

7. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Welcome extrasharp!

I myself am just getting to the one year mark in beekeeping. You've found a great place to hang your hat.

Keith

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Extra! This is a very friendly and helpful forum. Having a second hive is very beneficial especially with comparing normal against what maybe not be so normal behaviors. Look forward to seeing your journey... Dave

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings to you Extrasharp! :hi:Aside from learning to post threads for your questions, try to figure out how to do "searches". You'll find so much to read on any aspect of beekeeping that if you do your reading on a tablet while in bed, it will cure the worst forms of insomnia. :rotfl:
    Glad to have you with us.

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome extrasharp! Glad you are with us, I new myself with only a year in bees, you can learn a lot here I have.

kebee

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Welcome extrasharp from Kentucky to this wonderful forum. Great that you are reading books and this forum gleaming information on bees and beekeeping. Now if we could get the bees read the same books so were all on the same page. Bees can be independent thinkers and do their own thing and not follow our intended path for them. That is what makes them so fascinating to me.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and HOWDY from Central Texas...

one thing is for certain you will only learn something about beekeeping by doing beekeeping (although there certainly ain't nothin' wrong with reading a bit if you are a old beekeeper or a new beekeeper). from the get go be assured that if you do it a little or do it a lot you will make your own fare share of mistakes.

and good luck...

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Better late than never,.......Welcome from up here in "Tundraland"! :hi:
    Beekeeping is supposed to be fun so be sure to take the time to enjoy every second of it. Will everything work perfectly? Not likely, but the good will outweigh the bad every time.
    Ask questions whenever you have them, it keeps the rest of us on our toes. Not only new keeps make mistakes, we all do.
    Beekeeping is fascinating and fun, but not always easy, if it was, everyone would be doing it.
    You have found a good place here. :wink:

15. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

This forum is very similiar to the koi forum I mod at, yes can you believe they have a forum for people who keep fish :grin: My koi buddies are very interested in my new hobby, some already do it so I'll keep them posted and maybe get more people interested.

My job is working with farmers in my county on soil and water conservation, alot already have bees, knowing the benefit to their crops.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello extrasharp and welcome to the forum :hi:

17. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome extrasharp, this is a great place to start your beekeeping journey:hi:

18. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    My job is working with farmers in my county on soil and water conservation, alot already have bees, knowing the benefit to their crops.

tecumseh..
    you have been PROFILED and I suspect your background is not that much different from myself. our bee club here has a good number of fairly well healed retired folks and at least part of their interest in beekeeping is somewhat to highly associated with the gardens and flowers they want to grow in their retirement years.

as an aside which side of Kentucky are you located? a long time ago I began beekeeping in the south eastern portion of West 'by god' Virginia down along the Kanawha River.​

20. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Thanks all for the welcome. I went to our state's capital, Frankfort, for a wonderful day of beekeeping. Can't find anybody in my county online, something I want to change in the future. Anyway, I looked at the Louisville site and found somebody right down the street from me :thumbsup: Might even be willing to sell another hive to take to my farm. Lots of bee hives on the way to our place.