Hi from NS, Canada

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lil grain of rice, Sep 2, 2009.

1. lil grain of rice

lil grain of rice New Member

Hi everyone, I'm a new beekeeper, started with 2 singles in June, and they seem to be doing pretty well. I'm interested in organic beekeeping, with a mind to trying to regress at least one hive next year to see how I like it. For now I'm just experimenting with seeing how many times I can go into my hives a week. :D

Anyways, I'm looking forward to joining these forums.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

NS=nova scotia?

welcome aboard.

why might you wish to regress a colony of bees? what might you gain by this? how might this provide some benefit (for you or the bees)?

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello and welcome to the site.

I would say going into the hives in at a marathon pace would make some testy girls.

G3

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Welcome to the board!

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Lil Grain
    Good to see another Bluenoser here. When you say regress are you talking about going small-cell? I have read about it but from what I gather (fwiw) the jury may still be out. As for wanting to go into your hives all the time I have an easy solution for your problem, just get 12 more and then go through one every day every two weeks. It works for me. :lol: :mrgreen: :D
    Perry

6. lil grain of rice

lil grain of rice New Member

Lol Perry, the next thing you know I will have another dozen hives, then you're going to have to loan me your extractor, aren't you? :D

Yup, NS=Nova Scotia, and by regressing I do mean trying out small cell. Some people are advocating it as a means of controlling mites. Whadda I know? The benefit of being new is I'm willing to try anything, and as far as I'm concerned, it's all a success! Anyways, I will probably try it out with a portion of my hives, and compare. Won't be highly scientific, as the sample will be quite small, but in any case it's not whether or not it "really" works, but whether or not I end up believing it works or not :)

Yeah G3, so far I've been lucky, the girls are quite polite. I go real slow and try not to crush any, which helps, I suppose. That and they are just finishing off the second deep, so they aren't overly strong colonies yet. But yeah, I'm trying to learn some discipline. Yesterday was nice and sunny and I wanted to go peek, and I resisted. Today....I think they miss me.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I just realized I never officially said welcome. So....welcome.......and bump! :thumbsup: