Hi, from NW New Mexico

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by phonefool, May 24, 2017.

1. phonefool

phonefool New Member

I have been studying up and trying to figure out how to get into a little bit of light bee keeping for several months. Several weeks ago I built a few swarm traps, baited them with lemon grass oil, and hung them up around my small farm. Yesterday morning I was delighted to find that one of them was all full of bees.

I waited until sundown then climbed up and stuffed some insulation in the entrance hole. I took it down and carried it about three hundred yards to my future bee yard. This morning I took the lid off, moved the five frames covered with bees into a 10 frame deep hive I had set up for them. I turned the swarm trap box over and shook all the rest of the bees into the new hive. I know I got 95% of the bees into the new hive. Then I put the lid back on. I put a queen excluder over the entrance to the new hive.

Theoretically, because the queen is trapped in the new hive the workers should hang around. I noticed this afternoon that a bunch of the bees have left the new hive and gone back to the original swarm trap location. There are still lots of bees going in and out of the new hive. Are the bees that have gone back to the old location just a few confused workers, or do I have a problem?

-karl-

2. BKAdmin

BKAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the community Karl!

Someone who knows the answer to your questions should be along shortly.

Thanks for joining!

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

the bees know the answer. the first rule of swarm trapping is feed feed feed the new colony. did you have a feeder on the 10 frame? is there comb in it for the queen to lay in? I am assuming there are frames. I'll try to check in later in case you've answered Karl. And welcome

4. phonefool

phonefool New Member

Yes, I'm giving them a soy and brewer's yeast pollen patty and 2:1 syrup. They do have a couple of already drawn frames in each of the two boxes (I've captured a second swarm).

There is one thing that I am not completely understanding. After capturing the first swarm I put a trap up in the same location. Within hours it was full of bees again. I brought it home and put them into a third 10 frame deep box. This hive is acting very different than the first two. They are hanging around outside the box a lot and are much more aggressive than the other two. I'm thinking this box may be queenless and may be part of the first swarm somehow. I'm thinking about doing a newspaper combining with the first hive. I need advice. Thank you for your reply.

-karl-

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't want to risk adding a 2nd queen, Having a look through the box would require a good FULL suit and gloves, and if I were you I'd wear boots that my suit tucks into as well. Has that last bunch been in the box long enough for a queen to have laid eggs?