Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
All that sugar 'inversion' does is break down sucrose into its constituent glucose + fructose molecules; I do not believe that improves digestibility for bees, as bees secrete diastase and invertase (enzymes that run the same reaction) into nectar prior to drying it to honey. That is why honey has very little sucrose in it (and lots of fructose and glucose), despite the fact that sucrose is the predominant sugar in most nectars.

If you heat sucrose (table sugar) in water, without additives, about 30% will spontaneously invert over about a half-hour. This is enough to limit crystallisation, although adding a small amount of corn sugar will achieve the same thing much faster/easier. Adding a touch of weak acid (tartar, vinegar, even a squeeze of lemon juice) can help drive inversion to 70-80%, but you need to heat for much longer to get to those levels and you will get some caramelisation and malliard reactions along with inversion...I'm not sure that bees would care, but you are slightly decreasing the energy content of your fondant/candy if you allow that to happen.

B

·
Registered
79 Posts
How hard the sugar gets is purely a product of how hot you heat the sugar during preparation. Essentially hotter = less dissolved water remains = harder candy. I've seen a lot of recipes for bee fondant, but most heat to the thread stage (around 112C) or softball stage (116C), and then kneed air into it. For a hard candy you need to heat to soft or hard crack temps (132-154C).

B

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
Thank you Ron Natalie!

I took on beekeeping in 2011, did most of my active study in 2012 and 2013, but I run a small business in another field, had a dog dying of cancer for 3 years and my brain is just spread a bit too think at the moment. The dog died in August but I have 3 years bookkeeping disaster to cleanup, and try to get my hives in order before winter. I have noted that when I have been immersed and reading on a topic, I remember better. For the last couple of years my beekeeping has been on auto pilot, I know what to do when and just do it, but no longer remember why

In the meantime, welcome!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts