Hi!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by HoneyBeeMan, Oct 8, 2010.

1. HoneyBeeMan

HoneyBeeMan New Member

New to this forum. Have been a member of BeeSource for some time and also a member of Beemaster. Always good to have more places to bounce off ideas and meet new people. Just have to get use to the way this forum works. It's been hard to follow the logical order of links but I am sure I will get use to it soon.

Live in M'boro, TN.
    Army brat.
    SC is my home state (most of my family still lives there including my children).
    3rd year as a beek.
    Love the bees and for the most part ignore the stings.....unless they really hurt.
    Very active in doing cutouts. Beekeeping at this point is a black hole so the cutouts help out some.

This was the first year I got any amount of honey to sell. Got 11 gallons off 2 hives and then another 11 gallons from another hive. But I also lost a lot of honey because of a huge SHB infestation in my back yard. I am now down to only 3 of the original hives I started with the nectar flow. I currently have 10 hives of which 2 are nucs (swarms), 1 purchased nuc, and 3 cutouts. Several times this year I was up to 21 colonies in my backyard (cutouts/trapout/swarms).

I was lucky enough to save around 20 frames of honey (in freezer) and most of the frames by freezing them or using a torch on them and then freezing them. So I have a lot of comb for next year. Some of the saved frames have a good amount of honey and I may put them on some of the hives I have left before it gets too cold and robbing has subsided. I hope to extract the frames that I froze that were not damaged by SHBs and WMs. WMs were secondary to the SHBs. SHBs weakened the hives which then gave the WMs a foothold.

Again, I think that I can blame some of this problem on my on stupidity and will be more prepared for those incedious SHBs next year.

Have 2 other apiaries. 1 has 2 hives and the other has 7 or 8 hives. SHBs are not near as bad at these two locations but I still have to get some of them ready for the winter with stores.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome, Ken. Glad you found us. My guess is the two not bothered by shb are in the sun and the backyard is shaded. How close is my guess?

3. HoneyBeeMan

HoneyBeeMan New Member

Pretty close! But if I had the time to extract from the ones in the shade at the time I did the others I would have had a lot of honey extracted. I know shade is a factor with the SHBs but when you live in the city you have to put the hives where you can.

I have a plan for 1 area that I have had bees for 3 years with very little problems in the shade (until this year). The other places will be history.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

first off welcome.

did the shb infestation occur early or late? before you pulled the honey or after?

just a cat curious kind of thing.