High Rise Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ChefMontie, Aug 15, 2017.

1. ChefMontie

ChefMontie New Member

All,

I am new to the forum and have been working with bees for the past 3 years. I have learned a good amount in my time but looking to learn a lot more and feel this will be a great place to get that knowledge with all of the amazing beekeepers on this forum. I have a question about putting beehives on high rise buildings as I am currently working with a company that wanted some basic knowledge about adding bees into their buildings but I was not sure how high I can actually go with the bees. The current building that is in the works will be 12 stories so I think no problem there but would like to find out how high I can go. By the way we will be working with a few horticulturalists for flowers on different floor rooftops and around the building to help with putting the bees up on a high rise. Thank you for any information you can provide!

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

they can fly, so I would think no height restriction..lol...there are a bunch of bees in NYC on top of buildings, the only thing I would think to be an issue is food for the bees, are there enough roof top gardens to provide what the bees need, and some water..

3. ChefMontie

ChefMontie New Member

I didn't think there would be any restrictions but was wondering with the high winds on skyscrapers (100+ mph winds) if we should have some type of barrier to help with that. There will be a water feature a few stories below on the other side of the building (I think a fountain) for a water source. They will also be putting in a decent amount of landscaping on the roof (raised beds with flowers) and around the building from what I understand but not too sure on all the details yet. I do know that they would like to have about 8 to 10 hives on the corner roof and will supplement if needed with pollen pads in the beginning if things aren't looking to well. Have any tips to help me out?! I appreciate it RKbob!

4. roadkillbobb

8 to 10 hives will eat alot...you may want to research how much area of flowers that a hive of a certain size of bees needs to survive.. im sure the heavy wind will also be a factor in survival..if its going to be constant 100mph wind..I dont think bees would be able to fly in that..

5. roadkillbobb