History, geneology, and beekeeping

Discussion in 'Bees' started by Slowmodem, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My wife has done some geneology and has a lot of books. She got a new book yesterday and we were looking through it and discovered a lot of people were beekeepers around the turn of the 20th century.

My Grandfather on my Father's side of the family grew up in Cades Cove, which is now a part of the Smoky Mountains National Park on the TN-NC border. Most of the residents left the park in the 1930s.

Here are some neat pictures of folks in Cades Cove and their beekeeping from before the 1930s. I'm not sure of exact dates. But one of the folks, Daniel "Uncle Dan" Myers had a lot of bees. The best I can figure is that he was my Grandfather's first or second cousin. He even made hives out of old sweetgum tree stumps. I'm thinking Perry will feel a kinship with him for some reason. :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some other folk's bees:

[​IMG]

I don't think Bess Myers is directly related to Dan Myers

[​IMG]

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

That is very cool Greg It is great that it got documented in photos. Is it a book on your family as homesteaders or of pioneers of the area you family came from?
    My grandmother kept bees on the dairy farm but sold them when she sold the farm after grandpa died. I was only 2 when he died so don't remember any of it.
    My wife has the family tree all documented some back as far as the 1600's and her grand father kept bees also for a few years. She uses family tree maker and it ties and links up with ancestry.com

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very nice! :thumbsup: It's great to have this information so it's not lost.
    There's something about Uncle Dan that I like. :wink:

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

One thing I've noticed is that none of them have veils or suits. :shock:

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I noticed the no veils also, but non of the hives are open and there are not many bees flying or hanging out on the entrance also. The leaves are on the trees the grass is 9" to 12" tall it looks like a dandelion flower in one of the photos with the log gums but the head is closed up so the photo was taken in the morning before the temperature warmed up around the 15th of May. thats my guess. Although Daniel "Uncle Dan" Myers most likely did not need a veil as that beard protected most of him.
    Great someone documented the history of the area at that time It give you a snapshot of time in your family's history.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:goodpost:.....and :coolphotos:

very cool history and photos greg!
    perry likes uncle dan for the beard......:lol: