hive abandon

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by craigo21, May 16, 2011.

1. craigo21

craigo21 New Member

lost a hive over the weekend. It has two super's that are full of honey there are one new and to older hives beside it .should i leave the abandon hive up the for the other hives to steal from or place the super's on the other hives? or just remove the hive from the site looking for ideas and answers thanks craigo21

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Sorry for your loss and welcome to the forum!

If you are going to add them to another hive I would recommend freezing the frames for at least 24 hours to kill anything that may affect the hive you are moving it to. Worse case harvest it....

I am sure more experienced keeps will advise. Always learning....

3. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

why did you lose the hive? Did the loss all occur at once over the weekend? Or is that just when you first noticed it. Might make a difference in response.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would first want to know why I lost the hive. If the hive that is close by is not built up and strong leaving the other hive to be robbed out may be more than you bargained for as it may end up getting robbed itself. We will need more information on the dead out hive to try to figure out what happened before we can offer advice on what to do. there are just to many different scenarios that are possible

5. craigo21

craigo21 New Member

the hive was active and fine on friday when i returned on monday there ws no activity after inspection of the hive i saw very few dead bees notice the supers were full of honey were the dead bees were the was yellowish substance that i would assume was pollen. food supply of sugar water was there and they are in an apple orchard that just started flowering. plenty of dandelions around so food source should not be a problem.Orchard has not been sprayed at all this year do to wet weather. hive is located in forest region searching for colony in woods is like finding needle in hay stack.still looking for advice thanks craigo

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

my guess would be they may have been gone longer than what you thought the activity on friday may have been robber bees going and comming. You could collect up a few of the dead bees and send them to beltsville. Was there any brood at all left behind. Do you have small hive beetle in your area

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Sounds like nosema. Like rat said, the hive probably has been dwindling over time and the only way to be sure is to have a lab test. Jack

8. craigo21

craigo21 New Member

thanks guys for input still what do you think about the full supers. freeze and use or just allow the other 3 hives to rob. no hive beetles detected did have brood left behind

9. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Personally, I would extract any honey, and put any nectar on the hive next door. Robbing just makes a mess. I would not leave any comb out this time of year for any length of time due to wax moths or small hive beetle.

then I would spray any frames with Certan to keep wax moths from infesting it.

But thats assuming that it wasn't a direct hit with some neighbors can of Raid..

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

spring dwindling...

in a certain number of hives I have found that the queen comes out of the winter as a drone layer which means the numbers of bees in the hive simply continue to diminish. there is often times not even enough worker bees to attend to the drone brood. caught early enough a frame of eggs and young larvae from another hive gives such a hive a chance to rear another queen. with no beekeeper intervention such hives are doomed... since they have reared no brood this means they still are maintaining good stores in the hive (which are almost always absent in a queen right hive).

11. rast

rast New Member

Just a thought. Myself, I wouldn't extract due to feeding of sugar syrup. Freeze and thaw, give it back to the other hives. Use caution on the small hive (small entrance) so robbing of it does not start.