Hive... and Chicken!... Protection

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Hobie, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

A fellow from my local group just posted this on our discussion forum. It is quite interesting, so I thought I would pass the information along, just as he wrote it but with a few additions from later posts:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Everyone, I have been a member for a couple of years after taking Charlie's course at the Asbury Woods Center...

Where I live in Wattsburg (PA), black bears make the rounds and pretty much take what they want, including honey bee hives... brood and honey stores. Up the hill from me, a keeper had a bear go through fence (chain link) and just thrashed the hives.

Some of you may not know that I am also a poultry keeper, Free Range and I have to consider protecting them more during the day, but also deter night stalkers at night for my water fowl which remain on the pond and fail to come into buildings/coops where they would be safe.

My solution has always been flashing light units. These are solar powered and I have had them mounted on posts for years, also had them on my portable chicken coop.

For my apiary (I only have six hives) I place three solar Nite Eyes units facing out towards the field and woods. Now honestly, I have never had a bear attack... have only seen tracks about a hundreds away. But it occurred to me that some members of the NWPBA may have bear problems and would benefit from these lights?

[Nite Eyes is not the same as NiteGuard:] The difference between the two units (I have both) is NiteGuard has one blinking light and is not magnetic annnd has only one mounting hole. Solar Nite Eyes IS magnetic, has two blinking lights (more like the eyes of an animal) and has two mounting holes which I like for bungie cord attachment on fence post or trees...

I know some are using electric fencing and other deterrents... I spoke personally with the folks that produce and distribute the Solar Nite Eyes units and they 100% guarantee that they will keep bears away from your apiary or you will receive a FULL refund. You can keep them for 60 days on a trial basis... [60 days money back on the units you purchase... they do not cover damage or losses, which does not seem unreasonable.]

I visited one of our members apiary in Edinboro and saw the damage he had sustained from a bear visit... oy! The bears and other critters are coming out of their sleep soon and will be hungry. I hope everyone is prepared.

My poultry website is www.FredsFineFowl.com and is geared towards informing the public about chickens and of course honey bees! Please read my complete write up there on the page marked "predator protection"...

For the record, I do not sell these units and I don't receive any money for promoting the solar protection units.

Wishing you all well,

Fred

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Hobie, thanks for posting. Fred has an interesting website!

3. ski

ski New Member

Hobie,
    A thanks from me as well. WE have been adopted by two chickens and Freds site has been helpful.
    Ski

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Nice web site. Thanks for sharing.

5. Jimmy Mckenzie

Jimmy Mckenzie New Member

I also recommend Zarebas Systems Portable electric fence.
    Portable electric fence kits are available that include all the components you need for installation, including the fence charger, posts and wire.

Temporary electric fence systems can also be easily moved by using a battery or solar fence charger, poly step-in posts or steel or fiberglass rods, poly wire or tape or rope, and other lightweight components.