Hive beetles

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by lefluers, Sep 19, 2014.

1. lefluers

lefluers New Member

I recently inherited a couple of warre hives. Both were infested with hive beetles. One hive has diseased. The other did not seem to have brood but I did see eggs.

This is my first experience with top bar and turning out to be bad first impression.

Hive beetles are new phenomenon for me as I am stepping back into beekeeping after a 7 year break.

HELP!

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

I have a bad problem with hive beetles my self and had to turn to bottom boards with oil traps in them to cut them down and it worked real good, they have beetle traps that you can get but I found them not to work as good as the oil trap do and having no experience with warre hives I don't know what you could do to reduce them.

​Ken

3. lefluers

lefluers New Member

Can you show me where I can get this oil trap you are talking about. A warre hive has a bottom board.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

I sure can, they can be bought at Greenbeehive.com. They are listed as ipk bottoms, he has them for 8 and 10 frames hive in both kit and build, they are a little high I think for I get the built ones and the freight is high also I think. But they are the best thing I have found to keep the hive beetles down.

​Ken

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

I tryed the link and the site is up for sale but you can still get it through google search.

​Ken

6. lefluers

lefluers New Member

I saw it. I will have to build one myself to fit the warre hive body. Thanks much.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I got a new hive beetle treatment from beeweaver.com when I got my fall queens. It is less messy than oil traps, a sheet that the bees make ragged and the ragged edges are supposed to trap the beetles. Also I've seen skinny CD cases with a bit of olive oil in the center, bees can scurry the beetles in and guard them if they hit oil they die. be sure the cd case sits perfectly level and doesn't leak oil

8. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

I use a cedar oil based spray on the ground below and around the hive stands (I have found that a 5 ft radius is most effective) to kill pupae in the ground and it seems to control the population and keep it low to a point in which the bees seem to not be harmed by them.

I use what I called "Modified Warre" hives and HTBH's in the apiary.

9. lefluers

lefluers New Member

If I were to purchase cedarwood essential oil what would the ratio be for mixing this with veg. Oil?

10. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

I have no idea. That's not the type I use. I use this stuff.

11. milhoy

milhoy New Member

Beeweaver hive beetle traps also traps bees

I have been using these trapping papers from Beeweaver for a couple of months now in my Top Bar Hive. They do trap some beetles that venture down to the bottom of the hive but only if the bees do chew the paper (which is not guaranteed). It also seems the once these papers get fuzzy from being chewed sometimes the bees themselves get caught in them and die along with the beetles.

One other method I have found, is not to spread around the top bars of drawn comb around the hive with other top bars with no comb in attempt to encourage the bees to build out the empty spaces...this increases real estate the bees have to patrol for hive beetles and thereby allows the hive beetles more chances to hide, survive, and breed

12. Capt44

Capt44 New Member

I use a baited trap from Rossman Bee Supply called a Beetle Barn.
    You can cut a Check Mite strip into pieces and place in the beetle barns.
    The beetle go in the trap and die.
    They saved one of my beeyards this year from a heavy small hive beetle infestation.
    I haven't tried the Bottom Board oil traps yet, they are too pricey for a lot of hives.

13. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

not trying to be rude cap, just curious as to what quoting me here has to do with your comment? it doesn't appear related to his question at all which I was replying to.

14. ALfromGeorgia

ALfromGeorgia New Member

I use the beetle blaster traps and the beetle barns. I think both can be used in a top bar or warre hive. You can also look on Youtube for Fat Bee Man hive beetle traps. These are made using cheap materials and seem to be effective. Good luck with those pesky beetles.