Hive beetles

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Oct 31, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Hi guys - I got in my hives yesterday and I had some with 2 supers on them (hoping they would fill up from the fall flow), but not much there, so I put some of the frames down in the first super. But I did see something I haven't seen before and that was some hive beetles...a few in those supers. I am sure I have always had some, but I have never seen them just in the open like that - maybe it was because those frames were empty and they were easy to see. So do I need to put hive beetle traps in the hives now before winter?

I am leaving a super full of honey on all of my hives because I don't know what they have stored down below. It has been an awful year for bees with the cold wet and late spring, plus the hot dry and long summer on top of that. Maybe I am overly cautious, but I figure it's cheaper to not take the money I would make off honey and let them feed themselves through the winter.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

You are correct - the bees need as much food as brood, or 60 pounds for Winter. Use an entrance reducer and remove all unused frames to help your bees control the SHB. Some people put a solid board under the screened bottom board for cooler weather so you could add a tray of oil to drown Varroa and SHB.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

arkie writes:
    maybe it was because those frames were empty and they were easy to see.

tecumseh:
    I don't know about empty vs full but I do know that a small hive beetle show up on yellow comb better that black comb.

I also know they are easier to squash on plastic based foundation than on pure bee wax foundation.